9

Check out my new story Beckett Vancouver!

N I N E

Being in town was like being a fish in a shark tank. Everywhere I turned I'd feel a set of eyes watching me. Calculating my every move. I felt so exposed. So vulnerable. It didn't help that was the only human wearing a beautifully sewed gown. One of bright color nonetheless. If anything it just made me the bulls eye of the target.

"Oh come dear." Smiling with overfilled joy, Mrs. Lucilla grabbed me by the arm. Dragging me through the massive crowd of people. Everyone parting like the red sea in the wake of her presence. For her beauty overall demanded attention.

Stumbling behind Mrs. Lucilla, I tried my best to keep up. The wind brushing my hair in my face ever so often.

It wasn't till' we came in view of what seemed to be a small boutique did Mrs. Lucilla slow down. Her rushed pace faltering into steady and even steps.

Taking in the small building, I soon recognized it to once be a church. One that from what I was told long ago burned from a massive fire. The harsh flames killing at least seven civilians. The church has been here in Presley for more than fifty years. So it was truly a devastation when it suddenly erupted into flames. Till this day no one knows how it happened or who was the culprit that did it.

"Marty." Voicing this name in what seemed to be a melodic harmony, Mrs. Lucilla let go of my arm and trudged her way to the front counter. Lightly pressing her hand against a small bell.

As she did this I decided to take in the state of the church. The wall paper was tinted black, pealing off the wall here and there. Bits of rubble rested on the floor along with dust and debris. You could clearly see that this building has been unattended to for sometime now but in the process of being reconstructed.

The towns heart, literally since it was right in the middle of town, was being torn and changed into something of no value. Something that had no historical or emotional meaning.

What made it worse is that we had no control, power, or say in what happens. For the small town of Presley we once knew and lived in was no longer.

"Lucilla darling." Coming in view from the back of the store was a man. He was a short and pudgy fellow. With platinum blonde hair and strikingly blue eyes. Lips stretched in the biggest grin. "Pleasure seeing you here." He was wearing an overly bright fluorescent shirt, paired with crisp white pants and... Penny loafers? It was a very odd choice but somehow it all just seemed to work out.

"Oh nonsense." Waving off her hand, Mrs. Lucilla laughed. "It is the start of season after all."

Tapping his fingernails against the glass surface of the counter, he turned his gaze towards me. "Who is this?"

Smiling, Mrs. Lucilla gestured for me to stand by her side. Which I did. Holding a handful of my dress in one hand while impatiently yanking on a lose thread with the other. "This is Ellanore." Her voice was sickly sweet as she gently placed her hands on my exposed shoulder blades. "She'll need a gown. For the sundown ritual."

Nodding his head in acknowledgment, Marty maneuvered his way around the counter. Racking his finger through a colorful selection of fabric. It wasn't till his fingers came in contact with a serene white cloth did he turn to me and Mrs. Lucilla. "Just give me an idea for the design and I'll have it done... a week tops."

"Wonderful." Clapping her hands, Mrs. Lucilla reached into her purse. "Roam through the store if you'd like Ellanore. I'll be right back."

Before I could utter even a word in response, Mrs. Lucilla and Marty made their way to the back of the store. Disappearing behind a curtain and out of sight.

My mind was reeling. Working on overdrive as I stood their in utter confusion.

A sundown ritual? I had no idea as to what it was, or why Mrs. Lucilla happened to think I'll be taking part in it.

At this point Celias' warning was ringing loud and clear. So loud it was nearly unbearable. Frowning as my head began to pound from an on coming headache, I shook my head clear of all these jumbled thoughts. Instead I decided to focus my attention on all the little antiques and knickknacks.  

Everything seemed to be old and worth some kind of value. Whether it be a small linked necklace with an intricate design or some toy that's been collecting dust. It all seemed to have some sort of purpose or meaning.

While looking over a necklace, I discreetly heard the bell above the door go off. Looking out of the corner of my eye to the new on comer, I sucked in a deep breath. It was Talon. The girl from dinner. With some lanky man who seemed to share some similarities with her in the looks department. His hair was a dirty shade of blonde, sleeked back with a massive amount of gel. Face peppered with an on growing form of a beard.

Moving behind a rack of clothes, I pushed them aside just a tad to peak through. Suddenly glad for the old musty smell still lingering through out the building, for it seemed to be overpowering the scent of my blood rushing through my veins.

"I can't believe he isn't putting a stop to this." Frowning, Talon moved to the other side of the boutique. Harshly pushing the clothes along the rack as she looked over the minimal selection there was. 

"It's not like he has another choice. He's their first born child, and if he flakes then all of the hard work and everything we've done will be for nothing."

"I just don't understand why it reflects on Darius. First born or not. I refuse to see him with another woman. A human nonetheless." Running her hands through her blonde curly locks, Talon sighed. "Vail, you must talk to him."

"And why would I do that?" Glowering Vail, stuffed his hands into the pockets of his coat. Raising his dark, thick eyebrows in expectant of an answer.

"Because you're his best friend, and if you don't I'll make sure your life becomes your own personal hell." As Talon said this her voice was vibrant and soft, but even I shivered in fear from the threat hiding behind her words.

For a moment or two they both sat there in silence. Vail eventually mumbling "Fine." after having time to think things through.

Smiling, Talon yanked a dress of the rack.

Biting my lip, I slowly stepped away from the clothing rack in fear of being caught eavesdropping. Of course it just so happened that while doing so I bumped into a nearby table. Causing a pristine glass vase to fall towards the ground as well as myself. I fell to my knees scrapping them against the hardwood floor along with the pads of my hands. The pressure of it stung, and from the broken glass that lay on the floor I could guess that some broke through the barrier of my skin. Hissing in pain I turned my hands over to see the damage.

There was a bigger gash then I assumed there would be. Running from the length of my finger, down the palm of my hand, to the start of my wrist. Pushing down the urge to vomit, I curled my hands into tight fists. Resting them on my lap. Completely ignoring the fact that I had gotten blood on the beautifully sewn dress that Mrs. Lucilla has made.

I felt sick. My stomach turning in knots. As I had mentioned before, I was a little squeamish when it came to blood.

"Look at what we have here." Talon stood over me, her lips stretched into a smirk. Vail a few steps behind her, struggling to hold his composure.

I tried my best to hold back, I truly did. But I soon found myself puking up the small lunch that I happened to have earlier today. The vile taste burning my throat as the chunky substance landed on the floor before me. And unfortunately for me... Talons heel clad feet.

 Talons heel clad feet