13

T H I R T E E N

The thought of Alice and Roland sneaking around right under Mischa's nose was gnawing away at me. I wanted to inform her of what I saw... but a part of me knew that it was no secret of mine to tell. Of course it would be the right thing to do, but though it may be the right thing the outcome of it all will bring nothing but trouble.

My mind was clouded with confliction and judgment. So much so it nearly made me fumble.

"Are you okay?" Celia whispered. Her hands were folded out in front of her. Her eyes in which were full of concern trained on me.

It was well past midnight and despite that Darius has not yet arrived, the party was in full swing.

"I'm fine." I mumbled briskly in reply.

Occasionally my gaze would come in contact with Alice, but after a moment or two I'd slowly find myself shifting away and shaking my head in disappointment. The situation between Alice, Roland and Mischa was no situation of mines... But throughout the whole ordeal I've found myself being dragged through the mist of it all. Due to false assumptions and accusations.

I wanted nothing more then to think that being here with the Petrovics will do me nothing but good... But I could slowly see that that was surely not the case.

"I'm going to get some more refreshments." I announced. Taking in the nearly empty punch bowl that's been filled with sickly metallic blood.

"Okay." Celia didn't seem nearly content with my answer but brushed it off anyway. Not wanting to attract any attention from wandering eyes of ember, vermilion, and sable. "Roland moved the bags out to the shed and stored them in the cooler. So you'll have to go out there. And don't forget to grab the key from the drawer next to the sink."

Nodding my head I made my way towards the table aligned with snacks. Grabbing both bowls, I then made my way into the kitchen.

"Your not enjoying the party." Letting the door swivel closed behind me I looked to Alec. He was seated at the table that rest in the far corner of the kitchen. Feet propped over the aging wood, book resting casually in the warmth of his hands.

Upon hearing my statement his radiant green eyes turned to me. Briefly resting on the bowls that I held in my hands. "I just needed sometime to myself." Closing his book, he set in on the table. "If your going out to the shed, I'll assist you. It's dark out and with my parents company anything is bound to happen."

Alec's statement was a brief and simple mere suggestion... Yet it somehow still managed to have my heart flutter. Simply because for in that moment, it seemed to me as if he cared.

Ever since the talk that we've had just days ago I couldn't stop myself from conjuring up these foolish and irrational feelings. It was crazy. Crazy to think that within the span of days I've seemed to be falling for a vampire. It seemed completely absurd just thinking about it.

Biting my lip I nodded my head before slipping my way past Alec and out of the door. The air was crisp and nearly chilly but it was bearable. The moon was at its high peak in the sky, providing minimal light for me to see where I was going. Thankfully the small lights aligning the barn and illuminating the garden were on to shed more light.

Stuffing his hands in the pockets of his pants, Alec was eerily quiet. His lips were pressed together in a firm line, his eyebrows drawn together in a prominent frown. Clearly he was upset. It didn't take a genius to see that the arrival of his brother unsettled him.

"Do you want to talk about it?" The words slipped past the barrier of my lips before I could stop myself. I didn't dare look to Alec, but kept my gaze foreword as we continued to walk in an dismaying cloud of silence. My question solemnly lingering in the air.