27

T W E N T Y - S E V E N

E L L A N O R E

"I can't leave with you." Snatching my hand out of Cane's grasp, I watched in silence as the guy he referred to as alpha stumbled around to look at me. We were deep within the trees now, far from the Petrovics home. "I already did as you asked. He's free." I mumbled folding my arms over my chest.

"You can, and you will. There's no way we're leaving you here with them. You know too much." Cane said, his eyebrows drawing together as he frowned.

Scoffing I rolled my eyes. I've already caused too much trouble by leaving once, and being out there brought me nothing but misery... I didn't want to leave. I was safe in that house. Despite the odd reasoning of me being here. "I won't tell them anything."

"I don't trust you." Ironically enough, I didn't trust Cane either. So the feeling was mutual. He was power hungry, vengeful, and he lacked the quality of respect. In my eyes those were very untrustworthy traits a man could hold.

"Whether or not you trust me doesn't exactly matter believe it or not. I did what you asked of me. That should be enough." I wasn't sure how much Cane think I owed him, or if I owed him at all. But I refused to give him more than what I offered too. Can was a threatening man with his presence alone, sure, but that didn't stop my boost of confidence for having to stand my ground against him.

Looking toward his friend, Cane let out a cynical chuckle as he shook his head. "This discussion wasn't up for debate. You're coming with us and that's final." His tine was laced with authority, leaving no room for questions or further arguments. But even as he continued to help his friend who seemed to be in need of immediate medical attention, I stood my ground.

"He's not going to make it very far." This wasn't an excuse to stay back, but a fact. He was weak, disoriented, tired even. "I'm starting to think that you didn't think this plan through clearly." From what I've gathered observing Cane in the little time that I've been forced to be bothered with his presence, I've learned that he had a short temper. And it didn't take much to fuse it.

"We can't stay here. It won't be long before they realize that he's gone." Cane was still trying to help his friend. "Are you just going to stand there like an idiot? Or are you going to help me?" He snapped, realizing that I still haven't moved.

I didn't bother to acknowledge his rude comment, instead I bit my lip and shook my head. Cane would just have to learn the hard way if he didn't want to listen too me. He wanted to take matters into his own hands, take charge, and instead of wasting my time arguing with him I'd let him do just that.

Cane was supporting his friend from one side while I  moved to support him from the other. Wrapping one arm around his torso, and grabbing his hand as his arm rested over my shoulders... I felt something inside of me shift when our skin came in contact. It's like when someone accidentally shocks you, but it was much stronger than that. More pleasurable.

I couldn't tell if he felt what I was feeling. But slyly looking at him from the corner of my eyes I imagined that he did. Though he didn't seem to be happy, with his jaw clenched and his lips tucked in a firm line, he seemed more upset.

"Stop." He growled. Pulling away from my grasp and Cane, he stumbled backwards. Groaning in what I could only describe as pain as he held his head. "We'll rest here for the night."