CHAPTER SIXTEEN

~     U  N  W  A  N  T  E  D     D  E  C  L  A  R  A  T  I  O  N  S     ~

⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝     S  E  A  N    ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞

Three weeks or so after that whole fiasco in Russia, I was eating lunch in the kitchen when the doorbell rang.

 Not wanting to get up before I finished, I called Rose.

 No answer came.

 I still didn't want to get up, though. So, I yelled at her to get the door and resumed eating.

 The doorbell rang again barely a second after.

 "Rose!" I yelled, again.

 But there was no answer this time either, and I finally left the kitchen, groaning.

 "Rose, I told you to get the door!" I exclaimed, walking into the living room and wondering why she wasn't answering me.

 I saw her on the couch, eyes stuck to the pages of the novel in her hands.

 "Hey!" I exclaimed indignantly, grabbing the book and taking it out of her hands. "I told you to get the doorbell," I explained when she looked at me with her eye's wide.

 "Sorry?" she said it like a question.

 I rolled my eyes, wishing I hadn't given her the book but it had been part of the deal we'd made when I'd accidentally broken four of her fingers in a training session two weeks ago.

 Well, I actually didn't break it, Rose did because she was feeling triumphant after nearly beating me in a fight and had asked for another go.

 During that other go, she'd attempted a complicated kick she'd seen me do and had fallen down on the mat and hit her hand at a very awkward angle, bruising her fingers badly.

 But she'd claimed that they were broken and had given me the silent treatment until I'd bought her a couple new novels as an apology, even though it hadn't been my fault.

 That was the thing about Rose; she could make you feel bad for things you didn't even do!

 Groaning as the doorbell started ringing again, I headed for the door.

 "What the hell is going on?" I demanded, opening the door and seeing Jake, Alex, Angie, and Alan.

 "And here I thought you'd be happy to see us," Angie said, hands on her hips.

 "Doesn't mean you have to break my fucking doorbell," I muttered, stepping aside as they came in.

 "Hey, Rose!" Angie fell onto the couch beside her, reaching out and giving her new friend a quick hug.

 "Hi!" Rose exclaimed, startled but not unpleased, her lips quirking into a smile as she closed her eyes and hugged Angie back.

 The two had gotten quite close as soon as they'd met. I felt happy that Rose had a friend. God knows she deserved it!

 Struggling not to smile as Angie maternally reached out and wiped chocolate off Rose's cheek, I sat down in an armchair next to Jake.

 Rose smiled sheepishly as Angie wiped her hands on a napkin. She looked up to observe the rest of the crowd that had swept in and her eyes fell on Alan.

 As soon as she caught sight of him, the smile faded off of her face and her eyes widened.

 Too late I realized that she was probably less than happy to see Alan because he'd helped in abducting her.