CHAPTER FIVE

~    S  L  O  W  L  Y    ~

⤝ ⤝ ⤝ ⤝ ⤝ ⤝ ⤝     R O S E    ⤞ ⤞ ⤞ ⤞ ⤞ ⤞ ⤞

As the sun began to set, its brilliant golden light fading as it slowly began sinking deeper and deeper into the water and the tiki torches were set on fire, the naked flames allowed to dance, I closed my eyes and inhaled the salty sea breeze that was blowing tendrils of hair around my face.

 I only closed my eyes for a moment, though. Just to inhale that intoxicating tropical smell of salt, mixed in with coconut. The smell was usually overwhelming but tonight it was barely distinguishable due to the smell of various food all around me.

 The smell of food was not a bad one. The five-star restaurant I was sitting in had earned its rating. The food was spectacular, the waitstaff jovial and the service swift.

 Opening my eyes, I gazed out into the ocean, clearly visible as the restaurant was set at the beach. It was an open one with tables and chairs made from glass, wood, and rope.

 The sunset was divine and it took my breath away as I gazed at it. The sight of the golden sun sinking deeper and deeper into the edge of the water was a sight I'd witnessed only in movies and photographs until this visit to Puerto Rico.

 God, I've been missing out, I'd thought the first time I saw that sunset.

 The sight was still stunning even after five days of recurrence and I knew I would never get tired of it.

 But despite the stunning sunsets, the delicious food and the other splendor I'd been experiencing on the trip with Luke, I wasn't happy.

 Not really.

 The trip in itself wasn't unpleasant. Actually, it was amazing. Luke knew how to spend a holiday! He'd bought us first-class tickets, arranged for us to stay at the most luxurious hotel in the famous Condado Beach of San Juan and signed us up for the best tours.

 He'd taken me on a trip to Old San Juan to see the El Morro Fortress, San Cristóbal as well as the Cathedral of San Juan Bautista.

 He also took me to see the Museum of Puerto Rican Art and the Ponce de León Museum. Not to mention a trip to a local market and the city of Ponce where we saw a Puerto Rican Salsa dance show.

 So, like I said, it wasn't a bad or unpleasant trip.

 But even though I loved the trip and all it had entailed, I didn't love the person I was sharing the trip with.

 I know I'd that going to Puerto Rico with Luke might make me fall for him again but unless Luke finds a love potion and feeds it to me, there was no way I was falling for him on this trip.

 Or, I strongly suspected, any trip.

 It wasn't my fault. I tried. I really, really did. I tried to let that small sliver of affection I felt for Luke that night in his apartment to grow.

 I wanted it to grow. I wanted to fall for Luke and forget all about Sean. I wanted to get over him.

 But, Luke hadn't managed to make me fall for him.

 I didn't know why. Luke was a nice guy. He was intelligent — smart enough to be one of the most successful lawyers in Southeastern America.

 He was also compassionate and kind. On the few occasion's I'd let him take me out for a lunch or dinner date, he'd been generous to the homeless beggars on the streets, offering them no less than fifties. He'd also tipped the waiters handsomely.