CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

~     C  A  R  A  M  E  L     A  P  P  L  E     P  E  P  -  T  A  L  K  S     ~

⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝     R  O  S  E     ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞

It was a long ride but it didn't feel like it, not with Damien. Nate and Sean continued the puppet-show for a little while longer before setting down the stuffed hero and villains.

 Damien didn't complain but asked for cartoons. Angie, who had been typing away at her phone, immediately reached into the bag at her feet and took out a small tablet.

 Sean took it and set in on top of the dash.

 "What'd you want, buddy?" he asked Damien, clicking onto a folder with about a dozen different cartoon.

 I watched as Damien scrutinized the screen with a comically serious gaze.

 "Gru!" he finally declared, pointing towards Despicable Me 3.

 Sean smiled and clicked on it, settling back with his arm wrapped around Damien.

 I am slightly embarrassed to admit that I watched it, as well, and I was so engrossed in the movie that I didn't realize we'd arrived at the hotel until Nate declared so.

 It wasn't a super luxurious hotel but, it was beautifully plush, had comfortably spacious and cozy accommodation and served amazingly delicious food.

 It was also owned by a friend of Nate's and was known among famous people as being the most discreet in the area.

 We parked our car and walked into the lobby, blending in perfectly with our casual summer attire. We did try to hide our face's, me pulling out my hair from it's high-ponytail and Angie letting her bangs fall across her face.

 Both Nate and Sean wore caps to hide their features, as they had no hair to shake over them.

 We still got some attention from the married middle-aged couple behind us. They cooed over Damien, whose cuteness couldn't be hidden by the Batman cap Angie had pulled over his head.

 Damien, who peered down at the family over Angie's shoulder, was as wary of the curly-haired mom and the salt and pepper haired dad as he was of me.

 But, he was fascinated by the little red-haired girl in the mother's arms and attracted even more attention by waving his stuffed Batman at her and laughing delightedly as the girl, in return, clapped and laughed delightedly.

 Angie, no doubt trying to be a good mom, turned around and smiled tolerantly as the family all exclaimed how cute Damien was.

 She got a few more compliments from other people waiting in the lobby as he headed for the elevator bank.

 "You don't think anyone recognized us, do you?" she asked anxiously as we all filed into an elevator alone.

 Nate shrugged and turned to glare faux-furiously at Damien. "I told you not to flirt with every girl you meet!" he mock-chided him, causing us all to laugh.

 Damien looked at Nate with a hilariously bewildered expression and I could almost swear he rolled his eyes before turning back to his toy.

 He waved Nate and me good-bye when Angie carried him into the two-bedroom suite she and Sean were staying in and I was surprised and pleased when he met my eyes and gave me a smile.

 Nate and I were staying in a one-bedroom suite, of course. It was as beautiful and comfortable as he promised.

 We took a shower together to refresh us after the long ride and changed, him into a white button-down and khaki cargo shorts and me into a black halter-necked top and denim mini-skirt.