CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

~     T  H  E     L  I  E  '  S     O  F     J  E  N  N  A     C  A  R  M  E  N     ~

⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝     J  E  N  N  A     ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞

"I can't stop loving him."

 Rose sounded drowsy as she spoke. I was willing to bet that she wasn't even fully aware that she'd just confessed her everlasting love for Sean aka Romero Dyor.

 Ugh!

 That man! Even thinking his name left a bad taste in my mouth.

 I hated him. He'd hurt Rose so much! He'd destroyed her, reducing her to nothing but a shell filled with despair.

 To be perfectly honest, I'd even thought of ratting the truth about his 10-year disappearance to the public. Rose had told me all everything about those years. Well, everything that he'd told her at least.

 I didn't trust him enough to truly believe that he'd told her everything.

 But, I couldn't condemn him as the devil either — as much as I'd love to. Not when I remembered our few encounters.

 And apparently, neither could Rose.

 'I can't stop loving him," she'd said.

 Why? I mean, I get why she'd fallen in love with him in the first place; he was exceptionally gorgeous, that was hard to deny. Especially when Nate shared so many of his fine features.

 He was also charming, according to Rose. I'd witnessed the charm too, it had almost made me forgot how much I hated him.

 Sean was also a pretty damn good liar. There was a reason why 99% of the public had believed his story. It was a mixture of the earlier mentioned charm and a disturbingly convincing persona of openness.

 Rose had said that he'd sometimes shown his true self, though. She'd seen him fight ruthlessly, seen him as a hardened criminal and man-whore.

 She'd said his charm had made her forget them. But, I suspected that he'd convinced her to forget those bad things by doing good deeds.

 I was surprised when Rose had first told me of her stay with Sean; she wasn't the kind of girl who easily believed the best of people. Years of foster-homes and two years on the street had taught her better. It had hardened her and as much as that made me sad sometimes, it was also an asset sometimes.

 She didn't trust easily.

 That was why I'd been so bewildered when she'd told me she'd fallen in love with Sean.

 He'd seemed so damn untrustworthy to me. So sketchy I'd actually bit my tongue to keep from telling her that she should've known better.

 But it was a lot harder to blame her for falling in love with Sean for me now. 

 .  .  .     F  L  A  S  H  A  C  K     .  .  .

[     T  W  O     Y  E  A  R  S     A  N  D     S  I  X     M  O  N  T  H  S     A  G  O     ]

[     B  R  O  O  K  L  Y  N    ,   N  E  W  Y  O  R  K    ]

It was mid-morning — and I was late.

 I was running late for an appointment. A very important appointment with my agent.

 Usually, I never ran late. Not for an important appointment. I always slept early if the appointment was in the morning, canceling my usual clubbing and nightly workout — and just so there's no confusion, the 'workout' does include a bed and a man.