CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

~     W  R  A  P  P  E  D     A  R  O  U  N  D     H  E  R     F  I  N  G  E  R     ~

⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝     S  E  A  N     ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞

I was in my kitchen, rummaging through the cupboards for a bag of chips, a week or so later.

 I was so engrossed in what I was doing, I didn't notice that Rose had come into the kitchen until she cleared her throat.

 "Hey, what's up?" I asked, not turning around.

 "Oh, nothing much. I, uh, I just wanted to ask you something," Rose sounded nervous as she spoke.

 "What?"

 "It's just... Do I look... I don't know, gay?" she asked, anxiously.

 I think my heart nearly stopped at her words. Thank god I was facing away from her and she couldn't see my face or she would've found out my lie for sure from the expression on my face.

 As it was, I had a moment to carefully get my cool back.

 "Let's see," I said, turning around with a faux thoughtful look on my face as I studied her. "Pretty face, sexy figure and coltish legs. And, no make-up, over-size sweater, and jeans shorts. Yup, you look like the cover girl for lesbians!"

 "Very funny," Rose rolled her eyes before she looked at me, worriedly, "Seriously, though. Do I?"

 "No!" I exclaimed, turning around and resuming my search for those damned chips. "Of course not." Then, in an innocent voice, I asked, "Why?"

 "I went out with Angie and on the way out about five people gave me their numbers!"

 "Oh, come on! Don't be modest," I said, finally finding the Pringle's can. I popped a one in my mouth. "You know you're attractive to men.

 "Yes, but it wasn't men that hit on me," Rose explained before she narrowed her eyes at me, suspiciously. "You didn't say anything, did you?"

 "No!" I exclaimed with just the right hint of indignation in my voice. "Why would I tell anyone that you're gay? What do I get out of it?"

 Except other men staying away from her? My subconscious asked, sarcastically.

 Rose stared at me skeptically for a while before she bought my 'I'm innocent' look.

 "I'm sorry. Your right," she apologized with a sigh.

 I watched as she sat down, biting her lip, a far-away look in her eyes, obviously thinking about something. Then, she suddenly gave a little smile.

 "What's so funny?" I asked, curiously.

 "It's just that when I accused you of telling people I was gay, I was thinking about a guy I once knew who told his friends that I was a lesbian," she admitted, looking somewhat embarrassed.

 "And that makes sense as to why I would say anything exactly how?" I asked, genuinely confused.

 "It doesn't. Because he did that so that his friends — who also liked me — would, you know, stop hitting on me," Rose looked at me sheepishly.

 "Oh?" I was getting scared now. She was getting really close to the truth!

 "But that's obviously not the case here!" she laughed a little.

 I laughed in relief. "Yeah."

 I should've probably changed the subject after that. I should've definitely done that!