CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

~     P  A  R  A  N  O  I  D     ~

⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝  ⤝     R  O  S  E     ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞  ⤞

I walked out into the living room and looked out into the beach from the glass walls of the beach house in Isle Aurora, the private island that Jake owned, near Sicily, Italy.

 It was a stunning view of vast, white sand and dark waves. The water was mostly aquamarine but, at night it was dark, almost black and it was a stark contrast from the view I'd gotten used to seeing these past four days.

 Hoping that a walk in the sand would help me sleep, I wrapped my bathrobe tighter around me and headed out of the front door, slowly and softly.

 Part of the reason I was being so careful was Angie. The girl was a light sleeper and she hadn't slept a wink the first two days here. Finally, on the third night, I'd given her some of the pills I'd bought in Sicily, lying to her that I had enough for me too.

 I really had only five left but since one pill wasn't enough for me to sleep, I'd decided to give them all to her.

 Still, even though she'd taken a pill and was asleep, I couldn't take the risk of making a sound. If she woke up, she would realize that I'd lied about the pills and that would not be good.

 But to be honest, Angie wasn't the complete reason for me trying to be as stealthy as a ninja. I was also being careful because I didn't want to run into Vince.

 He'd been civil enough to me these past few days but, something about him still made my skin crawl.

 He was up to something but, when I told this to Angie, she'd just suggested to me that I was being paranoid.

 Maybe I was but, my gut said something was up and I was trusting it and making sure to keep as far away from Vince as possible.

 That was why I was glancing at his door every now and then as I walked towards the front door. Who knew what he would do to me if he caught me on my own?

 Finally, I made it out the door and sighed. No more slow, careful steps, I thought as I began to walk briskly down the beach. No more fear of waking Vince and Angie, it was just me, the sand and the ice-cold waves that were crashing down.

 I felt so exhilarated and free of worry as I walked down the sand, my mind too tired to think of what could be happening back in America as I walked down the beach.

 The sound of the waves crashing down against the sand soon made me yawn and I was just about to head back inside to sleep when a sound reached my ears.

 Stopping in my tracks, I concentrated on the sound that was hidden beneath the waves. After a few seconds, I realized that it was the sound of someone talking.

 Wondering if it was one of the two maids that were here with us, I slowly walked forward towards the sound.

 But as I went closer, I realized that it was a male voice and my heart quickened because there was only one male on this island and that was Vince.

 I wanted to quicken my pace, eager to see what he was doing out here but, I controlled myself and continued walking slowly up the beach.

 I caught sight of him soon. He was leaning against one of the palm trees, his back to me as he held a phone to his ear. I instantly stopped and quickly hid behind a couple of palms and trees myself.

 I know it's bad to spy on people and that it would be dangerous if Vince caught me but, I had to find out who he was talking to on that goddamned phone!