Fallen Celestial Part 30

For most of the people of Magnolia the silence that accompanied the first few minutes of the night were peaceful, a time to reflect on the day's events and prepare for the next day. But for the two mages that stood in Magnolia park the silence was anything but peaceful, it was both painful and filled with heartache.

Lucy could see Natsu's face go through a myriad of emotions. First disbelief, then transforming into shock and disbelief and finally into anger.

"What are you talking about Luce?" He asked as he took a step forward, Lucy taking a step back in response, "I know that the...the wound was bad but you said that your demon guy used a spell to keep you alive? How can you be dying?"

Lucy didn't answer immediately as she tried to get control over her emotions. "Natsu...your attack left me a few seconds away from death." She started, Natsu flinching at the mention of his betrayal. "And the only way for Abaddon to save my life was to stop my heart on its last beat." Lucy paused then, placing a hand over her chest without thinking about it. "The spell keeps my body from ageing and wounds don't bleed as badly as my blood doesn't actually flow, but since I can't age my magic cant increase like others and the only way I was able to grow stronger was through the demonic pacts."

Natsu still looked confused but nodded anyway. "Right, you mentioned that when you showed up at the guild."

"Right...but what I didn't mention that the spell used on me was incredibly unstable and required an emotional equilibrium to remain strong." Lucy continued to explain and Natsu sucked in a breath, clearly realizing what Lucy was about to say. "Watching...watching me die in your arms, by my own hands no less was too much for the spell to take. The spell cracked not completely but enough to do irreparable damage to it and now I am at constant risk of my heart beating its last beat."

The silence became even more oppressive as Natsu processed this new information, his hands clenching and unclenching as he thought on Lucy's words. "Well then...can't he just recast the spell or something?"

Lucy laughed dejectedly at that before shaking her head. "If Abaddon tries to recast the spell then it would remove the spell I have on me already, killing me instantly. The only option I ever had was to find a new heart to replace my damaged one, and that never panned out."

"Why the hell not? Don't doctors do that kind of stuff all the time? Why can't we just find you a regular old heart?" Natsu yelled, his voice filled with panic but Lucy failed to notice, her own emotions beginning to boil over.

"Because of the pacts I needed!" Lucy yelled back, Natsu flinching at the pain in her voice. "Because of all the pacts I obtained no regular heart could handle my magical energy. Don't you think I would have tried to find a heart already? The only hearts that could have handled my magical energy were either demon or dragon hearts and even their hearts weren't strong enough."

"N-now way..." Natsu murmured as he finally seemed to realize how grave Lucy's situation was. "There...there has to be something we can do! Surely Gramps or the first master or even Porlyusica or...or someone out there can help us. Just because you couldn't find a way before but now you've got all of Fairy Tail to help you. We can find a wa-."

"Stop Natsu!" Lucy shouted as she swiped a hand through the air, anger trumping out the other emotions in that moment. "I know what you're trying to do but just stop!"

"Luce..."

"Natsu, this isn't something you can beat by getting up after being pummeled into the ground, this isn't some dark guild that our family can rally against. This is just the march of time taking someone from you." It was then that Lucy's tears began to fall again, her vision growing blurry. "This isn't something you can fight against no matter how fired up you get."