Chapter 2: Aurora Avenue

-----------------------------
Read authors note at very bottom for more info on this chapter, thanks! :3
-----------------------------

"NO!" Jack shouted, throwing his controller. Merida burst with laughter.

"Maybe you should get a character with better attacks next time." She says, still laughing as the TV spoke, "FATALITY."

"What are you talking about, Freddy Krougar is awesome!" Jack argued. "Sure Jack..." She chuckled.

We were playing Mortal Combat, the newest edition, at Jack's house. "Alright, move aside, it's me and Kristoff's turn." Flynn snickered. "Ok, ok." The two getting out the way as Kristoff picked the controller off the ground on the other side of the living room.

I look over to see Merida curling up into a ball on the other side of the couch. I was still confused as to why she chose to defend me...out of all people.

"Hey Merida...?" "Yeah?" She asked. "Why'd you do it?" "Do what?" "Defend me?"

She paused, but then sighed. "I guess it's because I know how it feels to be different, I don't want to see others in the same situation." "What do you mean?"
"I mean when I was younger, I used to get beat up all the time just for who I was, it makes you feel like your alone sometimes." She explained, looking towards the ground.

"Yeah, I know how you feel."
We look up at each other and smile.

"NOT AGAIN!" Kristoff screams in disappointment at his loss.
The two of us laughed as Merida's phone rang again.

She answered it.

"Hey dad, what's up?" She says.
Her eyes widen in a matter of seconds, followed by a smile.
"No way! I'll be there in a few, love you, bye!"

"What was that?" I quirked an eyebrow. "I'll be two houses down if you need me." She says without explanation, quickly getting off the couch, not even bothering to put her shoes back on, picking them up swiftly off the ground on her way out.

She ran out the door, leaving us all confused.

There was a ringing noise, coming from Flynn's phone. He pauses the game, looking at the text.

"Oh...that's why." He chuckled. "What?" We asked. "Mer left 'cause her dad called that Peters' out their house with Jim." He explains.

There was laughter from outside.
I decided to take a look.

WHAT? I'm not nosey...don't judge me...

"Oops, looks like Someones' getting jelly." Jack smirked. "Shut up!" I say as I walk over to the front door, taking a peek as I cracked it open.

"Look at you! Your so much different since the last time I saw you!" Peter exclaimed In joy. She chuckled. "So Red, how was Scotland?" Jim asks with a chuckle. "Awful, I missed you guys so much." She says, hugging the two tightly. The two chuckled with bright smiles.

Feet approach me. "Dude, why is your face so red?" Flynn asked, standing behind me. "It is?" I asked, placing my hand on my cheek. I was burning up, but why?

Peter caught glance of me and Flynn and grinned. "Hey Flynn, come join the reunion! Take your friend if you want!" He shouted.
Flynn chuckled, walking out the door.

I decided to join him, even though it might make things awkward, I was gonna risk it.

The closer I got to the two, the more my blood began to boil...
There was something about them I didn't find too appealing.