Chapter 49 - Perish ◆

Jungkook

Walking through the white walls and floors, I ran my fingers through my hair anxiously. Certain decisions twisting and turning in my head makes me annoyed. Reaching my destination, I locked my hand to the knob and quickly turned it clockwise. "Hi." I greeted at the girl lying on the bed upon entering. I was surprised to find her alone in the room, with no one to watch over her. I am worried.

"Hi!" She smiled back, surprised to see me visiting her after a long while. She closed the book she was reading and then placed it on the stand.

"Where's your Mom?" I asked, looking around the room to look for an evidence that she was probably here, just maybe out for a bit to grab some quick necessities at the nearest convenient store.

"She was here a while ago. But she won't mind having you here if she sees you." She placed her hand on top of mine as I lean onto the edge of the bed to stand near her, the warmth it gives off sent me courage and hope. It felt like the holes in my heart were patched up by that warmth.

"So how's your day?" I asked her.

"Still the same. But today I went out for a walk with that cute guy nurse." She giggled. Her teeth glow as she smiles the brightest in the oddness of the day.

"Do you want to take a walk with me again?" That was an idea that came to my mind. I want to spend the day with her while both of our lives last. "Sure. Now?" She answered, the smile I loved still lingers on her face.

"Yeah. While it isn't still hot." I muttered hopefully.

"Okay, call the nurse so he could help you loosen these chords on me." She demanded.

I went over to the speakerphone to call the nurse. Minutes passed, the guy she was talking about entered.

"Hi, goodmorning!" He greeted as he smiled at me, he did the same to her when he walked to reach her.

"Hi, he's taking me for a walk. Can you help us make it outside?" She smoothly and happily asked.

I remain standing on the side to watch her happily anticipating to have a walk with me. The first day I went inside this room to meet her, she was far from the girl she is today. She was pale and weak before, but now, she's the opposite of it, add up to the list that she's inspired. I am happy that she's happy.

The door sounded, indicating another visitor entering. Her mom walked inside with two paper bags tucked in her arms. I walked to her and removed it from her hold.

"You're here again." She whispered. I nodded to acknowledge her. I stood on the side as I waited.

"Hi, mom!" The girl greeted while sitting up, the nurse took the slippers resting near the stand and wore it onto her feet.

"Hi! Taking a walk outside?" Her mom inquired, sitting beside her and rubbing her head.

"Yes, but with Mr. Jeon." She said sincerely.

Her mother lingered her gaze at me. I was partly glad that I didn't see any objection in her face.

"Okay, but can I talk with Mr. Jeon for a while sweety?" She nodded her head at her. I went to the door when she gestured to go out.

I closed the door behind me and leaned onto the white wall, waiting as the anxiety began to kick in. She sat onto the chained chairs from where I stand when she followed.

Silence took over the place for a while. My head was bowed down because I can't bring myself to look at her.

"Mr. Jeon, I won't take advantage of this opportunity you gave us. I really can't accept it if it's you who would pay for her life. My conscience will hunt me down for as long as I live." Her brows knitted as she said those dreadful words. The weight of her emotions is too heavy.