nineteen

Violet's POV

After spending a few more hours with Harry, I decided I had to leave and do some schoolwork. When I told him I had to leave, he had pouted and tried to get me to stay, but I just simply had to go. I smiled to myself as I thought of his cute pouting face.

I got back to my dorm and found Isabelle lying on her bed. She looked up at me as I walked through the door and half heartedly smiled. I returned the smile and sat down at my laptop to do some work.

"Violet," Isabelle hummed, "are we okay?"

"I don't know, Isabelle,"

"Violet, I was only trying to keep you safe. Please don't be upset with me, I only want what's best for you,"

"Maybe what's best for me is you staying out of my business," I muttered.

"Okay, I deserved that one. But please, don't be mad,"

"I don't want to talk about this. You messed up, Harry messed up, we all messed up. Just forget about it," I sighed. I was done fighting with Isabelle over this, so I might as well let it go.

"Okay, good. I need my best friend back," she smiled at me. The words 'best friend' seemed so foreign coming from Isabelle's lips. I couldn't help but feel empty as she said those words, almost as if they had lost their meaning.

"Me too," I pushed out with a convincing smile. She grinned back and bent over to hug me since I was sitting down. I lightly patted her arm as she hugged me, which also felt foreign. I brushed the feeling off and turned my attention back to my work.

Soon enough, I noticed my phone buzzing, which freed me from my work once more. I glanced over to see Jack was texting me. It's been so long since I'd seen his name on his phone that it made me smile.

Jack: Violet, it was great to see you again. I hope we can catch up more soon

Violet: Hey Jack. I'm free if you'd like to catch up now?

Jack: I'd love to! Meet me in the coffee house at 6?

Violet: I'll see you there xx

I smiled down at my phone as I texted Jack. I had forgotten how happy he made me, especially when I was upset. For no particular reason, we lost contact once we were searching for colleges, and that was that. I didn't notice I was losing him until he was gone.

I figured he went to college somewhere out of state, but he never told me. To see him again filled me with the happiness I always used to feel when I would see him. It felt as if no time had passed since we last saw each other.

In fact, Jack had gotten a lot more attractive since the last time I saw him. He used to be somewhat small and boyish looking, but when I saw him today, he was more muscular and he had subtle facial hair finally growing on his face. He also looked as if he might've gotten taller, which added to his transformation.

However, what didn't change at all were his eyes. His eyes had the same loving and youthful glow to them since we first met when we were children. His eyes were always so vibrant and blue, making them stand out against his other features. I smiled to myself as I remembered the way his eyes brightened when he saw me today, and I had to admit that I missed seeing that.

It was already almost 6 o'clock, so I decided to begin making my way down to the coffee house. I said a brief goodbye to Isabelle before walking out. As I walked, I got more and more excited to see him. But suddenly, I felt a pang of guilt hit me. Harry. Harry didn't seem to like Jack, and here I was, going to meet up with him.

Honey, you're allowed to go meet up with Jack. You two are friends, after all. My conscious told me. I nodded to myself in reassurance, but then my conscious came back with another point.

Or do you feel guilty because you have feelings for Jack? Feelings for Jack? I don't have feelings for Jack. I haven't seen him in a while, and plus we never had a romantic history.

I shook away my conscious and walked into the coffee shop. I grinned when I saw Jack sitting at a table, waiting for me. He stood up and hugged me once I came closer.

"Violet! It's nice to see you," He smiled.

"Nice to see you too," I grinned back.

"We have a lot to talk about," Jack laughed.

"You're right. How've you been?"

"I've been good. I wish I knew you were at this school earlier. I can't believe I didn't tell you where I was going,"

"It's okay, we found each other anyways. I'm just glad we are going to the same school,"

"Me too. So, I've got to ask, was that your boyfriend at the market this morning?" Jack asked as he cocked an eyebrow at me.

"Yes, that was my...Harry," I nodded.

"Your Harry? What, have you two not really discussed that yet?" He scoffed.

"Not officially I suppose, but yes I'd say we're dating," I blushed to myself.

"He was quite rude. If you ask me, you should have someone who is sweet to everyone. Who knows? Maybe his rudeness could fall back on you and then you'll be caught in an abusive relationship," Jack rambled.

"Where is this coming from?" I laughed as he acted as if he was my older brother.

"I'm just saying, you deserve someone who loves you,"

"He loves me," I nodded, mostly for my own assurance.

"Okay, okay. I'm just looking out for you, baby girl," he grinned at me.

"I know," I said and smiled up at him.

"So, how are you two working out?"

"We're just fine. He's absolutely wonderful," I smiled proudly.

"I don't like all of his tattoos," He randomly said.

"I love them. They're so creative and they each tell a story and-"

"Guys with that many tattoos are bad news, Violet," He shook his head as I frowned. I got a little upset as he began assuming things about Harry when he didn't even know him.

"You know, I've seen him before," Jack started, "and I don't remember him being this sweetheart you see him as,"

"Excuse me?" I chuckled.

"I saw him around once, just in some bar maybe, and let's just say that he wasn't very kind to anyone, especially towards women," Jack mumbled.

"Jack, I don't want to talk about this-"

"Violet, I'm just trying to protect you. That's my job,"

•••
She can protect herself, she's a grown woman, thank you very much.
But, I just saw I hit 1k reads and over 200 votes! I know it's not that many but it makes me very happy ❤️ thank you so much to my readers and especially my mains, you know who you are ;) xx -C