Chapter Thirteen

Mistoffelees was putting up the shelves of his and Macavity's den. For most of them were dusty, he began to clean them. But as he was trying to clear one of them, the pile of books on it fell, a loud thumping sound they made as they hit the ground.
He began to pick them up and put them on another table so that he could dust the shelf they were on.
As he continued picking them up, he found one entitled History of Tribes. This book caught his attention, for he was always curious about why tribes existed and why they were so many members on each one.
He opened the book at a random page.
Ohreleon...
The page said—
"Ohreleon means peace and love, but despite the fact they're peaceful and loving, this tribe has many enemies. It may be the envy of the other tribes that makes this tribe so under-appreciated, but the reason is actually unknown.
Some of these tribes that are archenemies to Ohreleon are:
The Jellicles, The Starrubies, and Dryfire.

The tribe is mostly known for their calm and classy attitude. It is also called 'The Home to Tuxes', though some cats are brightly colored; allegorical.
They hold a lot of meetings in their typical Club of Drinks.

One by one, most cats have been leaving the tribe lately, decreasing the population of it. It is surely expected the tribe to no longer exist in the next sixty years. Most of these cats are parents or kittens being taken out of the tribe. Though, it is believed that most kittens don't survive out in the wild and city by their own, while some find a warm and cozy home."

Mistoffelees decided to stop there, closing the book slowly. He let out a heavy sigh, afterwards hearing steps coming up the stairs of the two-story den. He panicked and put the book on the table and began dusting the shelf he was supposed to be cleaning.
By the time Macavity arrived at the room, Mistoffelees was putting the books back.
Macavity chuckled, "Doing the housework wasn't necessary, tux."
"Oh, I only did it so that it could look nice."
"That attitude of yours is lovely."
"Heh, it's nothing, really..."
"Hey, tell me the truth. You went through at least two or three books." The tabby quirked a brow.
"No, just one. I didn't even read an entire page of it, either."
"You sure?"
"Mhm."
"What book was it?"
"History of Tribes, I guess?"
"Oh, that one? Whoa, I never thought you'd read that."
"But I have always been curious on these things. It's interesting."
"Is it?"
"Yes, of course! You get to know your tribe's history better than what you hear through the other cats if you read these books."
"I see. Well, for such a curious cat like you..." Macavity approached the shelf where the book was, reaching for it. He gave it to Mistoffelees, "I'll let you keep it as much as you'd like." He grinned, giving him a quick peck on the muzzle.
The tuxedo purred, "Thank you, Mac."

That night, Mistoffelees didn't go to sleep

That night, Mistoffelees didn't go to sleep. Instead, he stayed up, reading the book that was given to him. He lit up a candle when it got too dark for him to read.
He read page after page; he was devouring the book, finding himself mesmerized at the words he was looking at.
All these tribes looked so interesting yet lonely. He wondered how big the Jellicles were compared to these other tribes. Perhaps too big—its population was huge and it grew everyday.
Not to mention a former-pirate tomcat named Gilbert had found and joined the Jellicles himself.

The tux then returned to his book, but as soon as he began yawning, he decided to stop. He slowly closed the book and put it back on the shelf.
He got into bed with Macavity, giving him a nuzzle.

He was happy to be with the tom whom he loved, but what he didn't like about him was that he never listened. But he still felt happy whenever Macavity was by his side.

On the other hand, Tugger...
He was worse than anyone would've expected him to be. He hadn't gotten out of his den for a week straight, and Munkustrap was pushing him to do something. But the more the silver tabby pleaded, the less the Coon would want to.

"Tugger, this is enough wailing, alright?"
"Leave me alone..." Tugger moaned and mumbled.
"You can't stay like this forever. You won't live a life if you keep thinking of only one cat."
"You have a mate, Demeter, and two kittens, Victor—whom, I assume, you named after Victoria—and Jemima. But look at me, Munk. I'm nothing."
"You are something. At least you have little queens who admire you." Munkustrap winked.
"It's not the same..."
The silver tabby let out a heavy sigh—there was no convincing his brother.
Damn it, he thought, he's obsessed with that tux.

The Coon slowly got up, brushing back his head-fur, mane and tail.
"Now, that's my brother."
"Well, then... I have some little queens to entertain, then..." Tugger put his paws on his hips and began walking towards his den door, finally going out for the first time in a week.