Chapter Fourteen

Screams of agony could be heard across the yard.
"Stop it! I... I promise it won't happen again!"
"I gave you the only bits of trust and look at you! You toyed with it!"
"I-I didn't!"

Crying...

Tugger awoke to the yelling and screaming, ears twitching. He shot up like a bullet—he was damn sure the screaming was Mistoffelees'. What had he done?

"Macavity, I swear I–"
"No, shut up! If only I knew you'd be like this!" The ginger tabby scratched the tuxedo on the cheek vigorously.
"M-Mac, I... I swear you misunderstood!"
"No, I didn't! I didn't and you know it!"
"You did! I was only talking to... to Mungo about... Please don't–"
"You're just trying to get me mad, so I can leave you be. That's why I never trusted you this much—I don't know why I ever... I did this time!" Macavity smacked Misto harder.

The tuxedo was crying even harder, and Tugger could hear everything from his den. But he didn't dare interrupt them.
He tried going back to sleep, but the crying of the tux made him stay awake. He didn't bear hearing him in agony.
Though, after a short time, it stopped.
There was a knock at his den door.
He widened his eyes, who could that be? He got up and went to open it.
He gasped as he saw the crying tuxedo there.
Mistoffelees threw himself onto Tugger, bawling like a baby. His cheek was red and bleeding badly, "Tugger, I need you! I want you to keep me safe, far from danger, like you've been doing all your life, ever since we met!" He clutched onto the coon tight.
Tugger hugged him, softly rubbing his back, "You know I've always been here, Misty. Always."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The golden tabby treated the small wounds of the tuxedo, licking them one by one and then wrapping them with bits of cloth he had there just in case.
He tucked Mistoffelees into bed afterwards.
Misto began purring, "Love is just a method for tricking you into deeply trusting others."
"Not when it's true love—and not necessarily two lovers' love. It's also family, friends... For example, I."
This made Mistoffelees smile, "You're so kind. I don't know why I ever saw you as a selfish and arrogant weirdo."
"Perhaps because you thought I never paid you much attention when I started to get a lot of reputation."
"Maybe..." He sighed.
Tugger stroke Misto's fur, "Go to sleep. I'll be taking care of you."
"Shouldn't you be sleeping, too?"
"I'm fine."
"Alright."

Mistoffelees closed his eyes, falling asleep. Tugger sighed, "You'll be okay, Misty, you'll be okay." He whispered.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Mistoffelees woke up in a different den. Where was he? How did he get here? He looked next to him: Tugger.
He jolted. Macavity would kill him!
He began nudging the Maine coon awake, "Tug, Tug, Tug! Why am I here?"
Tugger was already awake, "You came to me overnight. Macavity abused of you. You two are over."
The tux leaned back, "Oh, right."

The two gazed at each other's eyes. Why, the Coon felt like it was gonna become something. But not at the time. Poor Misto had just escaped an abusive relationship, and all he needed right now was comfort. If Tugger made any moves now, he'd freak the tux out.

Mistoffelees stretched himself and yawned, "I guess I have to find a new daily routine now that I have to live with you."
Tugger rose and his smile faded, "What do you mean? Didn't you have a den? What about your potions and herbs and all that?"
"My den has been demolished by humans in the Junkyard. That's why I moved in with Macavity."
"Oh."
"And my magical stuff... Well, I assume you heard the entire conversation last night. It all went down."
"I'm sorry..."
"Don't worry about it, Tugger. I can find my herbs the way I found them before, no?"
"I assume..."

Mistoffelees then looked back at Tugger, "Hey, wanna go see the waterfall? I'm pretty sure the Cave has gotten prettier." He grabbed hold of the Maine coon's paws, purring and smiling softly.
"Why would I say no to a face like that?"

The duo chuckled, then purred more before going out the den an straight to the waterfall. They were sure they'd see the cyan-glowing flowers sparkling like the first time they saw them.