Chapter 15

Lauren POV

Carter is out in our living area in the basement playing with his toys while Normani and I are studying for a test we have in our class together.

"Who the hell gives an exam right before Thanksgiving break?" Normani whines. "All I can concentrate on is eating all the food that my momma is about to make, not this shit."

I give my friend a scolding look. "Language. Carter is in the other room. He can hear you."

"Sorry, but for real." She continues to complain. "This is stupid. I shouldn't be at fault for doing bad when my brain is on food."

"Well, there is nothing I can do about it so don't take your frustrations out on me or my bed." I tell my friend who is digging her fingernails into my comforter.

Normani throws her pencil down and closes her book. "Forget studying, let's talk."

"What do you want to talk about?"

Normani points to a picture on my wall of Zayn and Carter. "Zayn is going to be in town tomorrow, right?"

I nod. "Yeah, Carter wants him here for Thanksgiving and since he is from the UK and doesn't celebrate it he agreed. He is then taking Carter for the rest of the month."

"I know." So why did she ask? "Are you going to tell him about your girlfriend?"

No matter how many times Camila and I say we aren't dating, Normani and Dinah both insist on using the word girlfriend.

"Why should I tell him?"

"Because he still likes you and clearly you have moved on." Normani states. "I saw the text he sent you telling you how much he missed you. I'm surprised Camila isn't pissed off about it."

About that...

"Unless Camila doesn't know Zayn says those things to you." She caught on to me avoiding eye contact with her. "Lauren Michelle Jauregui, you better not be cheating on Camila."

Technically it wouldn't be cheating because we aren't dating. "I'm not. I don't reply to them. I delete them right away. The only reason you saw it was because you were by me when he sent it."

"You better be telling me the truth." Normani threatens. "I've been friends with Camila all high school and I haven't seen her this happy."

"I am."

"Okay." She calms down. "If you are serious about your feelings for her, you need to tell Zayn."

I let out a sigh. "What if I don't want to tell him?"

"Honestly, if you don't tell him, I don't think you are taking things with Camila seriously. Which is fine, but you should make sure she knows that it's not what you want long term."

"You keep talking like Camila and I are dating." I stare at her. "We aren't, so there is no need to tell him."

"Don't be a coward Lauren." Normani demands. "You are crazy for Camila. Put a label on it for crying out loud."

"Why should I do what you tell me?"

"Because I'm influential." That's what she calls it... "Plus the longer you wait the more it looks like Camila doesn't mean that much to you. I'm sure you both agreed to this, but we both know someone can only wait so long for someone. Everyone is out trying to protect their own hearts."

Camila and I are just doing fine. Why can't Normani see that? "It wasn't that long ago that Camila and I came to terms that we would wait to commit. I don't want to rush it and it does not work out."