Chapter 20

Zayn POV

"We need to go." Paul, my bodyguard, demands as I'm in mid-inhale of my cigarette. "RCA wants you at the studio to hear this kid's music."

I throw my cigarette to the ground and stop on it. "Why me? I flew here to be at my son's birthday party and spend time with him, not to listen to some tone-deaf teenager who posts videos on YouTube."

My schedule is already tight enough. I barley have time to fucking breathe.

Paul doesn't let up as usual. "Let's go now. Time is money."

I walk over to the car and get in the back seat. Paul is beside me trying to build up whoever this kid is, but I ignore him.

I send a text to Lauren letting her know I am here while Paul keeps talking.

Zayn: Touched down in Miami. They have me running to the studio. Do you and Carter want to grab a bite to eat after?

Lauren: Yeah, he would love that. Is he still staying at the hotel with you so I can set up for tomorrow?

Zayn: Yup or you could have your parents watch him so I can help you.

Lauren: No, it's fine. Normani comes over after she's done with cheer.

Zayn: Why not your girlfriend?

Lauren: She has family plans. Hey, make sure you really get to know this artist you are listening to.

Zayn: Okay? I'll text you after so you know when I'll be there.

I figured Lauren would be mad that I wasn't coming straight to see Carter. Did she already know about the person I'm supposed to be listening to?

"Zayn, we are here." Paul announces. "You better be on your best behavior. The record label trusts your honest opinion."

The record label should be the one here and not make me waste my time then.

I walk into the studio and some kid in a snapback comes walking up to me. "Yo Zayn!" God I can tell he is a chump already. "Nice to meet you bro."

Bro? Who the fuck does he think he is. "Who the hell are you?"

"Zayn." A stern voice echoes through the room. "This is Austin Mahone. The artist you are here to evaluate."

Figures it would be this arrogant asshole. "What do you want me to hear? I don't have time to waste."

Austin signals for me to follow him as if I'm his little bitch. "Trust me, you will love this."

I hardly trust anyone. I take a seat on the chair closest to the system and prop my feet up. "What is the song called?"

"Brand New." Sounds awful already. "I'll explain more after you listen. I'm too hyper for this moment."

I roll my eyes as the music starts.

-Flashback to the summer it was you and me. I just wanna know babe, why you switch up on me. We could spend the whole day walking on the beach. I thought we were ok, now you're just my old thing.-

This song is irritating as it makes me think of my past with Lauren. Fuck this kid and this song.

-Now I see you're out with the crew and I don't even know what to do. All I ever wanted was you, but now the only thing I ever think about...

It's everything that you do. The city lights don't shine as bright like when I'm with you, babe. It's like you're acting brand new. I remember all the times you said you'd never change...

Girl why are you acting brand new?

Riding through your city, riding through your town. Wonder if you're still around. Wonder if you're here now. Maybe if I call you we can talk it out. Baby, we can't play these games, no.