• l a d d e r

It was a minuscule corridor, tight and humid like a child's mouth. Clark took the lead, touching the walls and analyzing every scratch while Hopkins held the lighter.

"I love humid and tight places. And before your malicious mind starts to work," he complained as soon as her raspy laugh filled the corridor, "I want to say that we're... in a fucking dead end."

He completed the sentence when they found a stone wall and the rests of a ruined ladder on the ground. Hopkins sighed. There was no way they could climb that shit without a ladder or a divine intervention.

Clark looked up, hands on her waist. "Well, looks like you'll need to boost me up, cowboy."

With puckered lips, he turned his back to the wall, intertwining his fingers. Clark held Hopkins shoulders, placing the tip of her boots on his hands. Hopkins tried to boost her, but she didn't move.

"I bet you'd love to have sex in the ruins of a secret passage, right?" Clark whispered, and if she had shouted the stones wouldn't have echoed her raspy voice that loud. Hopkins felt a sour taste inside his mouth and against all expectations, smiled.

"It's sad, but you were the one who wanted to keep things strictly professional," he whispered back into Clark's ear.

She gave him a bitter smirk and boost herself up. Hopkins ran towards Clark and grabbed her arms, climbing the wall with her help.

They moved on, following the corridor and ascending a spiral staircase in silence. Clark kept rubbing her hands on the walls, making an irritating noise. Hopkins was about to ask her to stop, but a wooden door ceased all the sounds. Carved on the door, Hopkins saw the coordinate numbers hid inside a flower.

Two small arrows, one pointing up and one down, guarded the flower.

Clark pushed the door and the rusty hinges shrilled. A cloud of dust raised from the stone ground, and Hopkins saw scrolls, old books and flasks of all kinds and sizes. This shit looks like Merlin's lab. He put the lighter in his back pocket, waiting for the bearded guy to appear at any moment, waving a wand at them.

Hopkins closed the door while Clark searched with avid eyes for the next step.