• w o r r y

Charlie ditched the tourists and disappeared inside a room, looking both sides before opening the door. Hopkins smirked.

End of the the line, big boy.

After struggling with the mass, specially a group of old ladies asking questions to a poor pimply teenager guide, they reached the small room. A lot of boxes were piled in a corner and a tiny chain, with the authorized personnel only sign, guarded the entrance of a spiral staircase carved in gray stone. Hopkins felt a shiver ran down his spine when he saw that the only way was down.

Clark slammed the old bolt of the door and draw the pistol hidden on her thigh. Hopkins puckered his lips, yanking the fake mustache from his face with a grunt. Clark eyed the staircase, stretching her pale neck to the darkness underground.

"A humid and tight staircase. Your favorite type of place, if I recall?" She chuckled, but her jokingly manners disappeared when Hopkins held her wrist. "What?"

"Charlie didn't lock the door. He's idiot, but not that idiot."

"Do you think it's a trap?" Clark asked, knitting her eyebrows to the dark staircase. She pressed the ear communicator, not amused anymore. "Darling, are you there?"

"Spankin'?" Hopkins pressed the communicator, feeling his throat dry. No answer.  "Answer, goddammit!" Nothing. "If Holt has the kid, I swear to God..."

"Hey, don't worry," she assured, eyeing him. Hopkins clenched his fists. "These walls are made of stone. You know, interference and all that technology shit you can't control. Relax. Spankin' is fine."

Hopkins nodded but didn't believe in a single word.