• l e a v i n g

The small palace was crumbling down.

The old wood structures were squeaking because of the fire, and the bullets were coming from all sides. Crouching against a half-wall, surrounded by three men heavily armed, Hopkins coughed. The smoke was rising quickly, making his eyes burn.

"Ideas?" Clark shouted, shooting with a gun she robbed from a dead thug. The second floor was simmering and the damn place was a maze. Some men advanced through the aisle, shouting and pressing the triggers way too fast. "Hopkins, my bullets are running low!"

Then, a miracle happened. A white-porcelain bathtub fell from the third floor over the men, opening a crater on the ground and hitting the first floor with a thud. One of the guys tried to escape, but Clark shot his head without even looking at his face.

"Let's get out here," Hopkins said, moving forward. "We just need to find the ladder in th— Holy shit!"

A part of the floor ceded and Hopkins lost his balance, falling through the bathtub hole. His fingers grabbed the floor, feeling everything crumble under his touch. The flames from the first floor were rising, heating the sole of his worn out boots. Clark pulled him up, grunting.

"No more... pizza... for you, big guy!"

With Hopkins on his feet again, they got around the crater, going down a staircase that led to a rectangular hall full of beautiful ancient statues. Hopkins and Clark ran across the stairs, stopping in the middle of the hall. "Shit, where to?!" she screamed, turning around and looking for an exit.

The fire was consuming the ceiling when it happened.

A crystal chandelier dangling from a rotten wood beam fell upon the hall like the hand of God. Hopkins didn't have time to scream. He shoved Clark, and let a long shout of pain escape through his lips when his right leg got stuck beneath the beam and the floor. Gasping, she dragged herself back and tried to push the beam away from him.

"Shit!" Hopkins cried, kicking the beam with the free leg. The sweat kept falling over his eyes when, suddenly, Clark stopped pushing the beam and got up. Hopkins saw her guilty look and felt a shiver ran down his spine. No, please. "Clark!" he shrieked, kicking the beam multiple times, but she was running away, forcing a door. "Clark, don't leave me! Shit!"

But she was too far to listen to his pleas.

▬▬▬▬

[AN] → Hey guys! I'm posting this new chapter today because I don't know if I'll be able to do so on Wednesday :( Well, if everything turns out alright, we'll keep up with the normal schedule! :) Hope you liked this chapter :))