• d i s g u i s e

Hopkins greeted one of the citadel guards with a head gesture and squeezed Clark's hand.

The fake mustache Spankin' had bought on the city made his nose itch while they were walking towards the citadel. From where they were, the red stone of the citadel's wall looked frightening against the afternoon sun. Some tourists were taking pictures, pointing at small stores and having fun. He, otherwise, couldn't stop thinking about the damn necklace.

Clean your head. He glanced at his partners, trying to act like them. Clark was wearing a white summer hat, a flowery summer dress, rounded shades and all the tourist's attitude, laughing and pointing at random things. Spankin' was walking beside him, wearing earphones and her decrepit backpack, completely entertained by the folders about the citadel.

He was the only one about to crack.

"Relax, Clark Gable." Liz pulled him closer, whispering in his ear. "And stop squeezing my hand like that. Someone might think you're not having fun in our family's vacation, darling."

"I'm loving it, pumpkin pie." Hopkins smiled back, wanting to pluck that damn mustache from his face. "For someone who hates compromise, you were rather quick at proposing me a fake wedding, weren't you?"

"Don't start it, sweetie."

Hopkins smirked, although his leg still ached a little. As soon as they arrived at St. Petersburg and went to the countryside in a creaky jeep, Hopkins swallowed the right amount of painkillers to stand still and play that stupid part on the farce Clark had created on the plane. The happy family on vacation in Russia. Great.

"Well, you were the one who didn't want to be my beloved little wife, weren't you?"

"The package included big dogs, a house in the suburbs and what else?" Clark laughed. "Kids?"

"We already have a girl, in case you've forgotten."

Her eyes flickered to Spankin', who was walking and reading another folder. Clark puckered her lips, looking away. Hopkins was adjusting the fake mustache when Spankin' touched his arm, taking off her earphones.

"Come on. The castle should be right there, passing those walls."