Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

DREW

Everything hurt.

Like every inch of my body was bruised beyond recognition, the pain centering mostly on my chest and shoulder.

At first, I forgot what happened. But it was short lived as the memories came rushing back to the forefront of my mind. The vicious and blood thirsty red eyes of my mate, unyielding and unwavering in their resolve to tear me to shreds. The terror shot up my spine, until I blinked my eyes open and the first thing I saw was emerald green orbs staring back at me, attached to the most handsome face I'd ever encountered.

Kai.

"How are you feeling?" he asked softly.

I shifted a bit and winced. "Still sore."

"We'll keep you here a few more days until you fully recover."

"Have you been here the whole time?" I asked, noticing the duffel bag in the corner, overflowing with all of his clothes and necessities.

"I won't leave your side," he answered fiercely. I frowned at him.

"Kai, what about the Alpha meetings? What about the war?"

"That's not important right now."

"Kai—"

"Drew, that's the end of it," he growled, emanating a little bit of his Alpha hormone. I quieted immediately and looked into his stony face, trying to hide all of the worry and doubt that I knew was behind that mask.

My Alpha leaned close to my neck and inhaled deeply. His body vibrated rapidly, before he sighed. I raised a brow at him.

He was acting strange.

His face was still buried in my neck as he took huge whiffs. "Kai, what are you doing?" I asked. That's when I felt it. A warm wetness dripping onto my bare shoulder. Kai's shoulders shook ever so slightly and his hands held tightly to my hips.

Oh Kai.

My poor Alpha.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," he sobbed quietly. With each word, his grip around me tightened. I pulled him onto the bed and held him in my arms.

"It's okay. I forgive you. It's alright Kai."

Kai cried harder and I let him. He needed to get it out of his system and the best thing is to hold him. Show him that he's not alone and that we are in this together.

"I don't know why it happened again. It was supposed to stop," he choked, trembling in my arms.

The door creaked open and Sherry's started to come in, but I shot him a look and shook my head. He nodded and retreated quietly.

No one was supposed to see my Alpha vulnerable like this. That privilege belongs to me alone as his mate. These tears were mine, no one else's. Just like this man in my arms was mine and mine alone.

"It will get better. I promise, we'll figure something out. Because I love you and you love me and there is nothing in the world that can take that away from us. I will never stop loving you Kai. Ever."

Kai didn't say anything, but he still held me tightly.

"I was terrified at the possibility of not being able to give you pups but you reassured me over and over again that we would and we did. I was kidnapped and tortured while pregnant yet I survived because you were there to save me. I'm alive and loved with a beautiful family because you are my mate and you gave it to me. When will you realize that there is no bond stronger than ours? When will you see that nothing can tear us apart? Because I will always fight my way back to you as I know you would to me. This is just another battle Kai, and we will once again be victorious," I continued.