Nineteen

PICTURE OF KAI

Chapter Nineteen

DREW

I didn't know what was going on but from the furious expression on Kai's face, I knew it was something important. I didn't ask questions, I didn't hesitate, I just did exactly what my mate told me to.

When we were running, I felt like something dark was chasing us. I could almost feel its whispering tendrils kiss our heels as we raced toward the South Omega Keep.

Something was happening. Something bad. And it had to do with that phone call. I didn't know who Kai was talking to or who Carlisle was but they had to be important. And I've never seen such a look of horror on my mate's face before.

Well, maybe once.

When he woke up with his hand buried in my chest.

I shivered at the thought. My breath was coming out in loud pants and the whines of my children at my chest funneled into my eardrums. I couldn't stop running, I had to get away from danger and keep my pups safe. My instincts were running wild.

"Kai!" I heard Jackson shout.

I followed the Alpha's train of vision and locked on a small human girl with long blonde hair and big brown eyes. She looked weak and fragile. Her appearance didn't match the huge black vest strapped to her body, drowning in wires.

It didn't take a genius to figure out what it was.

"K-" I started to whisper before he shoved me into Talon, screaming "Go!" while he headed for the girl.

"Kai!" I screamed, kicking at Talon who held me tight against him, running away from my mate. My mate who was in danger.

I watched the girl, as her once vulnerable expression morphed into a smile while she turned and ran away.

I also watched as Kai watched her. I could see the vibrations of his body, the heaving of his chest, the blood red bleed into those emerald green eyes.

No!

Someone stop him!

"Kai! KAI! Talon let go of me!"

My heart broke when he started to run after her.

STOP HIM!

"She's evoking The Chase! Stop him!" Talon shouted.

Jackson and Brynn were quick to move, tackling my mate to the ground. Violent growls and snarls filled the air as my mate fought tooth and nail to get free. Jackson and Brynn were having a hard time keeping him down and were going to lose him until Talon helped them. Even then they were still struggling.

"He can't stop," Nick whispered, looking at his friend is terror. "Once The Chase is evoked, it's impossible to snap him out of it. He'll keep trying to hunt that girl until he kills her or he dies himself."

I choked in horror. Tears blinding my vision.

"We have to get moving," Talon ordered as he, Jackson, and Brynn managed to get a hold of my wildly bucking mate and pull him along.

We ran and ran until we reached a small stone shrine. Sherry stepped on an inconspicuous stone on the ground, making the base in the shrine sink in, revealing steps. We hurried down them to an underground community where all of the Omegas were being kept. We had to get by major security before we were able to get to the heart of the community.