6

I scanned my I.D and entered LexCorp quietly. It was earlier than I would normally be here, but I sought to run some scans before my shift started. I assured Lois repeatedly over dinner that I would make time to. I made my way down the halls, through some corridors, until finally making it to where I needed to be to help an old friend out. Which, I can't seem to convince myself to be a virtuous decision. That feeling of betrayal hasn't simply vanished.
     I pulled some rubber gloves on to my hands, and made sure to delicately take the bullet out of its bag. I let the machine scan what it had to as I logged in to a computer nearby, opening the databases of material encryptions. It was a layered bullet, and a jacketed bullet, so I had guessed it was made of obsolete materials. I was proved wrong. Not only was it a recently founded combination of materials, it was custom made, meshing together a multitude of materials not yet used nationally.

Thud

It sounded like a door slamming. Hurriedly, I logged off, clearing history coding and stuffing the bullet back in to my pockets. As I stood, I heard the door behind me open.

"Miss. Mira! How delightful! Are you ready to start the day? What were you working on? Surely you came in early to look in to something? Must be important to you, yes?"

He motioned for me to follow him. I anticipate to go to the lab downstairs.

I bit on my lower lip.
"I was simply investigating the combining of natural resources."
"Oh is that right? Lovely! In order to conceptualize the mineral deposits." He nodded to himself, walking towards me. "Have you come up with advancements?"
I shook my head.
"Well! Heh, I can't say that isn't disappointing to hear! But, I know for a fact you will certainly find one! Together, we'll solve this epidemic! I have confidence in you Miss. Mira." He nodded to himself again. "Yes, yes very much so!"

Lex closed the laboratory doors behind me and then spun to face me. He placed his hands on his hips, brushing his lab coat behind them. He had a button up shirt underneath. I noticed right then I was taking note of not only his clothing, but his stature. I felt my cheeks burn.

"Miss. Mira, have you heard?"
"Have I heard about what?"
"Why, the media's depictions of Superman's casualties of course!"
"I have. Yes."
"And you thought...?" Both of his hands spun in circles in front of him as he gestured for me to continue.
"Perhaps it wasn't his intentions."

He scoffed.
"But does that really excuse his uninformed actions? Does that actually justify the lives of bystanders?" His eyes narrowed as he spoke to me, his head skewed, hands still on his hips.
"No...I would never justify deaths of civilians Lex. I'm just saying perhaps there was a—"

"A reason? Listen to me Miss. Mira." He stepped closer. I awaited the sensation of his breath lingering on my lips just as before. "No man in the sky intervened when I was a boy to deliver me from daddy's fist and abominations." I felt just the sensation I anticipated. "And you know what else?" One side of his mouth curled slightly.
"What else?" I expected my voice to sound weak. But, it hadn't. It sounded firm, as if I were matching him.
"I figured out way back if God is all-powerful, He cannot be all good. And if He is all good, then He cannot be all-powerful. Superman cannot be the embodiment of both."
"But was Superman responsible for the wrath behind your father's fists?"

"You said there was a reason for his actions."
"A misinterpretation is what I implied."
"So a justification...a vindication...an explanation. I have news for you Miss. Mira."
"And what would that be?"
"No man in the sky, neither God nor Superman, was able to justify those abominations."

There was a slight pause before I mandated the air in my lungs to support the words ready to form on my lips. "That is because such atrocities cannot be justified Mr. Luthor."

     His lips slowly reshaped in to a grin, a very snide grin. I sensed his hand rising from his side, but I didn't flinch. His index finger gently grazed the bottom of my chin, causing me to lock eyes with him extendedly. He seemed to find my response both witty and favorable.

"You and I my dear...are going to grow intermittently...almost erratically...and certainly ingenuously."