33

"Sweetie. Sweetie, it won't be so bad." Harley whispered to me as I fastened the latch on my suitcase emotionlessly. 

"I...appreciate it." I mumbled back to her.

     I was deemed an accomplis of Lex's. This sounds unbearably obvious. What about 'murderer'? No, not quite. I can thank the covering of my tracks to Harley. She knew way better than an emotionally disturbed me what to do with it. I suppose her man has taught her well. Makes sense, since when has she ever been reprimanded for anything other than being his accomplis? Either way, I was on probation for being, what the town called, Lex Luthor's partner in crime. I'll tell you exactly why I wasn't locked up. I wasn't locked up because they need my smarts. They need my research, and the hospitals are too interested in what methods of rehabilitation I can cough up to let me rot away in a prison somewhere. Not that I can stay here in Metropolis.
No, no I've been dismissed from my duties here in Metropolis. LexCorp has been shut down for now, probably until they can get a new department head, and Lex is being transported to a prison. They claim to need nothing his brain has to offer, like they claim to need mine, but I say he's just too clever for them to even think about trusting. I mean, did he really lose? Think about it. People are afraid of him. People are afraid of the manipulative power he composed. That's what he wanted. To feel powerful, and show the town that there is always something more powerful than what they think to be their supremacy.
     He'd be at Belle Reve, in Gotham. Funny, in french that means 'beautiful dream'. He'd been some miraculous beautiful dream alright. They weren't keeping me here in Metropolis either. Why they though banning me to the same town was a good idea, beats me. Honestly, I think they're just worried I'll somehow continue his disruption. Shows how collective the governments are. Putting one danger on to a whole other city hypothetically. How nice of them. At the same time, with Superman, supposedly buried, I guess Gotham was safer with Batman guarding the night.
     I haven't talked to Lois. She hasn't called me, and I haven't called her. There's a mutual understanding lingering in the air that says we're not going to any time soon. As I was in the shower this morning, I pondered whether or not I should mention to her just how alive Superman could be. I mean, I spent what seemed like forever, studying Kryptonite. Lex's medical records suggested the regeneration of a Kryptonian who has been killed by kryptonite. I wasn't about to instill any false hope in his family. Nor did I really want to hear her voice. I thought it might make me feel soft. I didn't want to feel soft. I wanted to go to Gotham and pursue what I had to: working in a hospital.
     Harley insisted I bunk with her, in her apartment. She insists on 'returning the favor'. I don't see how. She stayed with me for a while, I get it, but did she owe me anything? No. I made it this far because she was staying with me. I think if anything, the tables were turned, and I owed her for basically everything. I wonder if scrubs will feel different than wearing a lab coat. I wonder if the doctors there will look at me as revoltingly as Mercy looked at me. I wonder if anyone was told why I was going to be there. Seemed like a stupid thing to do as it'd most likely only instill fear in to my co-workers. 

"Are you ready dollface?" Harley asked as she unwrapped a piece of gum.

     I just followed her, making my way up the complex's steps. My suitcase thudded on each and every stair. I only packed my clothing, a picture of my brother and me,one of his text books, and a few of my own belongings. I thought I packed light to be completely honest. The thudding said otherwise. As we reached the roof,my hair began to fly in every direction. The helicopter was parked and waiting for us to board. I tried to take a deep breath. I was nervous. I was starting over somewhere new. I was...in essence...re-establishing myself. I tried to convince this was a good thing. I tried to think of it as finding a new home,and Harley as a new family member. It just wasn't working. I wasn't good with chance.
     I stepped in, pulling my suitcase in. Harley helped as best as she could, so I smiled at her. She blew bubbles with her gum, but smiled because she knew I couldn't hear them over the ruckus of the propellers. I couldn't help but chuckle. Maybe this would be a nice thing. Maybe Metropolis was getting old.Perhaps I needed a change in scenery. There was a good chance that if I remained residing in Metropolis I would consistently be visiting the cemetery.I know, she knows, we all know, that wouldn't be neither healthy nor helpful. Maybe it didn't matter where, or who, my family was. Maybe it just mattered that I lived respectfully. 

Sike. There was nothing respectful about this. I wasn't a respectful person anymore.

    The helicopter landed, and as I stepped out, I noted that from the view, I could see the river that the boat bobbed on once. I licked my lips, but tasted no cherry. I never did get to ride on that motorcycle again. I shivered. Lex. He's probably been incarcerated fora long time at this point. I wondered if he was settled. Could I visit? Is he even allowed visitors?

Argh.

How'd I manage to trade one jail bound person of significance for another?
How revolting.