24

Mason Morix will be released on account of his being a test subject to a new rehabilitation program initiated due to the discovery of Dr. Morix's liquefied Kryptonite. The justifications of Superman's actions will hereby be utilized and determined by the population of Metropolis.

     Walking out of the court room, hands in my pockets, the words replayed in my head over and over. Almost like a catchy tune you just can't shake. I looked around for Lois, but I couldn't seem to find her. I saw Clark though, and decided perhaps I should ask where she was.

"Hey...Clark?" He turned to me, smiling. It'd been a while since he's smiled at me.
"Mira! Ah! Congratulations! You must be so excited!" I smiled up at him as well.
"I'm determined, not so much excited."
"When will Mason begin his treatment?"
"As soon as possible." There was an awkward pause.
"Do you think it'll be tough to see him in person again?" Clark hesitated word for word.
"Possibly." I took a deep breath and exhaled heavily.
"Well, if you need anything you know I'm here." He smiled again, genuinely, and patted my shoulder.
"Thanks...I uh, I've been looking for Lois, is she around?"
"She was, but I think she ran off with Miss. Graves to get an inside scoop on some story? Do you want me to ring her phone?"
"No, no need. I was just going to say hello."
"I'll tell her you were looking for her." I nodded.
"Thank you. Congratulations on like, not being convicted." I stammered.
He chuckled. "Thanks. I didn't think I'd be like, convicted." He mocked. It almost felt brotherly to me. "I have to go. Tell Mason I said hello."
"I...yeah, I will."

     Clark walked away. I turned to scan the room one last time. No one else I knew was around. I wasn't quite sure where Lex had run to in such a hurry. He didn't tell me anything, or even say goodbye. Which, I guess was typical of him. I felt a tap on my shoulder. Turning, I saw Harley standing there, her usual bubbly self.

"Isn't this so exciting!? This folder has all the mandates on it! You get to see him tomorrow! They're bringing him to Metropolis Manor for rehab!"

     I must have blanked, because I couldn't for the life of me remember where that place was. I pondered it but my thoughts eventually fuzzed. I was worried, I was anxious, and more than anything, I was nervous. Harley and I walked out to my car, and made our way home. She told me she had something for me back at home. I wasn't surprised, she always seemed to. Whether it was a pile of candy bars, clothes, or just a simple tidied living room, I always came home to something.
     As soon as the front door opened she jogged to her bedroom. I followed, stopping at the doorframe as I usually did. My eyes scanned the room. It had been Mason's for the longest time. It was Mason's until he was convicted. I didn't have the heart to throw him in to the streets even as a drug addict. We had too many good times at home while he wasn't on a high. I used to sit around and attempt to think of ways to keep him indoors with me. It always seemed that if I had him home, and he wasn't with druggie friends, he'd stay clean. That was, of course, me sitting in a deepening pit of denial.

"Here!" Harley held a pistol, pointed downwards, to me.
"Where the fuck did—"
"I have plenty! It goes on your belt. Snaps right on!"

     I tried to ignore thefact she could have killed me at any time if she had guns in her possession. She didn't though, I was still alive, and so Ifelt almost content. I almost felt that if she were going to turn out tomassacre me, she wouldn't be feeding me protection. Up until this very second Ialways thought guns were stupid. I thought they were mundane. I thought, thatmaybe, if people didn't have guns, there would be a little less crimethroughout the alley ways of Metropolis. As I stared at the hunk of metal, Icould feel that perception changing. It seemed like merely doubtful thinking.In fact, it seemed like a necessary asset to keep safe.

"Well, I mean, thanks?" I forced a chuckle as I took it. "Is it loaded?"
"Why would I give you a gun that wasn't loaded?" 

I could tell it was a sincere question, so I just shrugged.