19

Pow Pow Pow

     I watched in amazement as Harley hit the bull's-eye numerous times. Her stature, her accuracy, they were both on point. Whoever her teacher was, they did a great job. She looked confident with a grin, possibly a little more uncanny than normal, spread upon her face.

"Come on Mira, your turn doll." I reluctantly took the pistol from her hand. "Don't be so nervous!" She traded spots with me. I sucked in as much oxygen as I could and held it as I shot.

Pow

Way off target.

"Try again." I threw a side glance at her. She was standing there, still beaming at me, with her hands on her hips and her legs shoulder length apart. I noticed the man in the next station ogling her.

Pow

Still way off target.
I felt her hands on my shoulders. She was re-positioning my arms. "Exhale before you pull the trigger."

Pow
It was at least on the outer rims of the target.
Pow Pow
Still on the outer rims of the target.
Pow Pow Pow
The bullet holes were gradually moving around the target.

"What's that noise?" Harley's question broke my concentration. I stopped shooting and relaxed my hold to listen. It was my phone.
"I think my phone; it's in my back pocket." I gripped the gun again.

Pow Pow
Shit. Nowhere near the target.

"Relax, stop thinking so much." I felt her dig in my back pocket as she instructed me. I mentally thanked her for it. I was curious as to who it was. It couldn't be Lois, right? Not after the shenanigan earlier today. "It's Lex! Can I pick it up? You can't really hold the phone while holding that gun or anything." As soon as I turned my head to tell her to let it go to voicemail, I saw her swipe the green icon on the screen. I gave her a snide look. She simply smiled.

"Hello!?"
I focused back on the target. Nothing I could do now.
Pow Pow
"She's busy!"
Pow
"My name is Harley. Hi Lex."
Pow Pow Pow
"Yes, yes Quinn."
Pow Pow
"Whatever Lex, she's busy. Don't ya listen?"
Pow Pow Pow
"If we were in danger would I be taking this phone call for her?"
Pow
"What? No."
Pow Pow
"Yeah, I'll let her know.
Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow
"Holy! Mira!"

     I stood, slowly lowering the gun. I studiedthe bullet holes until I realized the gradual lines to the center. I turned toHarley with a blank expression on my face and could hear some muffledconversation coming from Lex's end of the line. I couldn't make out what he wassaying. Harley started cackling, seemingly proud of the one bullet that wentwhere I wanted it too. Simultaneously we looked down at my phone. I suppose Iwas debating taking it from her. I didn't. I took a deep breath and exhaledsharply. I swallowed hard but turned to face the target again. 

Pow
Closer to the center.
Pow Pow
Back at the outer rim.

     This was frustrating. It was morethan frustrating. I felt like I had no control. I felt as if I wasn't steady. Isquared my shoulders, shooting a bit more. Eventually I had to change the clip,but I kept going. I was stubborn minded. The similar wiring that allowed me towork intensely on a project was going to make it so that I was not leaving hereuntil I felt accomplished in some aspect. It was a blessing and a curse.

Pow Pow
"Listen Lex."
Pow Pow Pow

"No, no I don't think she'd mind."
Pow Pow Pow Pow
"Yeah, I'll let her know."
Pow
"I don't thinks she's gonna have a problem coming in to work."
Pow Pow Pow
"Yeah, he's fine. No doubt."
Pow Pow Pow
"That's fucking fuckery and you know it Lex"
Pow Pow 
Harley scoffed "Yeah? I'll prove it you fuckface." She giggled.
Pow Pow Pow
"Mira? She's the one shooting the gun!"
Pow Pow
"Hah! Of course she knows now!" There was cackling.
Pow Pow Pow Pow

Bull's-eye again.