12

Since meeting Mr. Wayne, I have been much more in tune with the happenings in Gotham City. Batman, apparently, was running amuck of his city; branding them and what not. Reporters spoke of him as much as they did Clark. Only, they painted a very different picture of him. They questioned his technique, not his moralities. I found that interesting. As long as he was branding and restraining the 'bad' guys, no one thought to speak about the moralities of how he did so. I'd assume that's what Clark was speaking to him about. The imagery shown on the television seemed like the type of crap Clark would detest. My phone rang and an unknown number appeared. It had to be my brother...calling from jail.

"Hello?"
"Mira, how are you?"
"Doing well, how are you?"
"Agh, I'm holding up. They've been giving me books to read. Finally." He chuckled.
"Oh yeah?" I chuckled as well. "Read anything interesting?"
"Nah. Just some weird fiction. What's going on in the outside world?"

I briefly explained the Superman controversy to him, as well as the newly discovered Batman epidemic.

"Clark?"
"Of course."
"How's Lois."
"She's fine."
"How's Mira?" He laughed. "I miss you."
"I miss you too. But, I'm alright."

     I told him about my newest job at LexCorp. I told him about last night's event at Lex's mansion. I told him about the trials, and Lois' requests to do some forensic work for her. But, in a way that avoided saying it bluntly. He was smart, and we spoke in code often, as his calls were monitored constantly.

"Wait, so there's going to be a trial?"
"Yes."
"He gets a fucking trial?"
"I know Mase, I know."
"I didn't get a fucking trial."
"Yes, I remember, I know."

There was a moment of silence and a heavy heave on the other end of the line.

"Will you be testifying?" He asked hesitantly.
"No..."
"Will you be there?"
"Most likely. I work directly with Lex."
"Do you really?"
"I do."
"Have you—"
"I'm working on it. I only get so much lab time Mase."

Another bit of silence.

"Do you have any of my books?"
"I have some texts I think...in a box."
"Look at the big gray and black one, would you?"
"I don—"
"Just do it. You might think twice about testifying."

     The call disconnected. I assumed his time was up. I stood to hop in to the shower but my phone rang again. Maybe it hadn't? No, surely security wouldn't have cared if the call was drop. One phone call was one phone call. It was Lois. I contested answering but did so.

"Hello?"
"Mira! I've been worried. How are you?"
"I'm well. How are you?
"Good, good. Stressed over this trial preparation." I knew she was hinting towards knowing results. Let me just say this isn't like her. She usually calls to have decent conversations, but I excused this to her anxiety due to the unknown predictions of what would happen to Clark afterwards.
"I finally figured out where the bullet came from."
"Really?" She seemed surprised.
"LexCorp."
"Lex? Lex had it sent to—"
"I suppose so, yes."
"You sound so nonchalant about it. That's...Clark warned us." Us. As if he had warned her about Lex. She never gave a damn about his warnings regardless.
"Do I? I'm sorry."
"And you're still working there?"
"Yes."
"Did you bring it up to Lex?"
"What? No. I could lose my job Lois."

There was a pause before she responded. When she did though, her voice was almost inaudible.

"You should...before Clark starts questioning your loyalties."
"Loyalties Lois? Fucking loyalty? I'm not a dog!"
"No! I know that. I know. Relax."
"I don't give a damn about what Clark thinks of my job, my viewpoints, or my relationship with Lex."
"Relationship with...?"
"It's not a romantic relationship Lois." I said, annoyed. But, I couldn't tell if I was annoyed because she probed or because I actually wished it were intimate.
"But you sound...you....you're fond of him?"
"I don't give...two fucks...about Clark's opinion."
"You have to stop being so bitter towards—"
"You're still justifying it."
"Your brother was dangerous."
"He was an addict who needed help. He wasn't hurting anyone but himself."
"And Clark."
"Give me a break. Clark could have stayed away from Mason's Kryptonite just as he would any other sample of it."
"It tore Clark up mentally you know. He did what he thought was best."
"Without speaking to me about it."
"He knew you'd argue with him."
"Obviously. Well I have news for you Lois."
"What's that?"
"It didn't help. His noble actions weren't noble. Clark may feel safer, content, but guess what?"
"He does not feel—"
"Guess. What." I spit out.
"What Mira?"
"I don't feel so content. It tears me up. To shreds."
"I'm—"
"Sorry. I know. You always have been."
"You know I love you, don't you Mira?"
"Mmm. Yeah? Then is now a good time to mention to you that I didn't even have to continue testing that bullet?"
"What are you—"
"You love me so much you went behind my back to get it tested. You doubted me?"
"It was merely a second opinion...wait were you snooping?"
"I was inspecting that stupid journal again. To be honest, I was frustrated I didn't have the answer for you yet. Before I knew it I realized someone else had already anyway. Suddenly I felt less upset over the worry of disappointing you."

There was a pause.

"So you snooped."
"And you skated around the truth."
"I didn't. I would never do--"
"Because you love me? Yeah?"
"Because I love you."
"You know what I've been thinking?"

There was no answer.

"You love me just as much as Clark did Mason. Enough to keep him around. Not enough to restrain from stabbing him in the back with a dagger."