31

I came to a halt suddenly. Harley, who was running behind me, knocked in to my back gently.

"Darling, what gives?"
"Shhh!" I crouched around some dead bodies. They were all police officers. Okay, they were formerly police officers. No more, I supposed the night got the better of them. I picked up one of their flashlights. "You don't think we'll need one of these?"
"Good call." She blew a bubble, popping it with her teeth. I slightly cringed.
"Let's keep going." 

     We snuck around town cautiously. Though, there weren't many people on the streets to attempt to avoid. They were either dead, or in hiding. We passed a small corner shop with televisions in the window. All of which were, not surprisingly, blank. From here, on the streets, in this part of town, I had no way to know where Lex's creation was. Nor did I have anyway to contact Lex at the moment. I only hoped he was okay.

The door hit the wall with a slam.

I held the flashlight out defensively, my gun pointed right behind it. Patients cowered in fear. Harley looked around instinctively as well.
"This place looks like a shit hole. It really needs a paint job. You should paint it. Maybe like--"
I shushed her. She just looked at me apologetically.

Crouching, a young woman stared up at me as if I were going to slaughter her. She looked petrified. "Please! Please don't. I've been behaving, I swear it!" I looked her over. For a moment, I hesitated, feeling uneasy that someone was nauseatingly afraid of me. That's something I wasn't used to.

"I'm not going to hurt you...or any of you. I'm here to make sure everyone is okay." Her eyes drifted towards Harley. "She won't hurt you either."
"So...So you'll get rid of her?" She asked nervously.
"Of who?" I asked delicately. The young woman's shoulders relaxed with the realization I meant her no harm.
"I.. I don't know her name."
I nodded to her. "Have you seen Mason? Mason Morix?"
She nodded to me.
"Where is he?"
"He went to his room."

I Stood up and motioned for Harley to follow me. Up the hallway, our footsteps were the only noise. The flashlights' beams combined in to one, laminating a crisp circle on to the floor. It was barren. Together, we reached Mason's room. Without hesitation I kicked it open.

Slam

     Two obscurities, silhouettes, appeared in front of me. I slowly had shown my flashlight at them. The darkness hiding them dissipated and the breath within me lost. A short haired woman sat on the floor with her hands drenched in blood. She was smiling down at her victim, the corpse on the floor. I would recognize that person anyway. Mason.

It was silent for only a few moments as her head leisurely turned towards me. She squinted at me, her grin still present. I felt my muscles tense and the eyes contemplate whether or not they were to cry. It was evident from the tint of the blood pooled around him he was certainly dead. His chest did not rise, and his skin looked icy. The scene, atrocious, and with masses of disgust, I drew my gun to point at her. She pointed a knife, a knife coated with my brother's blood, at me.

"Now you can stop!" The short haired woman emphasized to me. "Now...now you have no motive! You don't need to work at LexCorp. You don't have to run any experiments. You have no one to cure! Heh, you have no one to save!" She softly cackled to herself.

I stayed silent, superficially staring at my younger brother's body. So lifeless.

"You lost Mira. You lost everything, right here." She rubbed her free and bloody fingers together. "This was your muse, eh?"

I clicked the gun, pulling back on the lockage. She ran the point of the blade lightly across her cheek as I shook my head in denial.

"He knew nothing about this. Nothing. I asked him. You were keeping secrets. He said he knew nothing about your love life, your love's side projects. You should have told him you know. Perhaps then he would have experienced the definition of my name."

My face grew warm. No, my whole body grew warm. My elbow shook, and my eyes narrowed to secure a promising shot. A single tear, cold in contrast, slid down my cheek.

"You wouldn't kill me? Would you? You have no reason to. We're even." She looked at Mason's lifeless body, nodding. "A muse for a muse. I'm sure you're terribly grateful for my position, my sweetheart, now." She assured me. "You take a muse; you give a muse Miss. Morix." She whispered jabbing the knife in to my brother's side for emphasis.

Pow

I pulled the trigger.
With an accurate, swift shot to the head, her body lay equally as lifeless on the hardwood floor.

     I dropped my gun and flashlight simultaneously and rushed over to kneel beside my brother. Blinking fervently, to hold back as many tears as possible, I scooped his head in to my lap. Tears still managed to drip and coincide with the blood around him. His shirt, seeping; His eyes, comatose. The hazel orbs were now hazy. With shaky hands I reached over my younger brother's face and gently closed his eyes for him. The tickle of his eyelash felt like pins to my skin. I stared at my hand, and then took his. His blood glazed my sweaty palms. Harley sat beside me, crossing her legs, handing me a knife, Mercy's knife. I stared at it, and reaching over my brother, I indignantly speared Mercy's dead body in the stomach. I allowed the handle to stand upright. Blood sprinkled across my clothing as I sat back in position, resting my head on Mason's forehead. His blood was cold.