23

Hastily, I slammed a bunch of papers down by the computer. I barely had time to notice Lex working on a sample on the other side of the laboratory. I frantically went through papers before I heard Lex's voice draw to me.

"Mira? What are you doing here? You were just here. Shouldn't you be—where's your lab coat?" Dammit, my lab coat was still hanging in a closet upstairs. I ignored him, pulling on gloves. "Mira, really, where is—what are you doing? Have you lost your marbles?"

     I took a piece of kryptonite delicately, and dropped it in to a small vat of liquid nitrogen. I watched as a bit of green mixed with the smoky white that leaked from the top. I waited a few moments, as patiently as possible, before using metal tongs to take it out. Lex watched me attentively. I laid it onto the counter, and reached for a small, but metal, mallet and a pair of tweezers. I broke pieces of, watching as it crumbled. I helped it along with tweezers, and smashed the smaller pieces in to dust like material.

"Mira, would you like to explain what on Earth you're doing?" He inquired. I continued to work, holding my breath.

     I turned to a tubular machine I had used so many times. It compressed and heated. It turned iron to liquid; it turned mercury in to that oozy, and toxic, liquid in your thermometer. I watched the digital screen as the chemical make ups came up. I watched them change, and watched the molecules align and misaligned multiple times. I felt Lex look over my shoulder. I turned to him briefly, noting his presence, and continued what I was doing. The tube below us filled with a green liquid, which was, I think, glowing still. I couldn't believe it. 

"Mira, what have you—" "Lex! It's still glowing! It's not just a montage of dust!"

I picked it up, holding it in front of both of us. A slow, snide, grin appeared on his face. The color looked to be a darker green that the original sample. I had done it. I had figured it out.

"Lex, the temperature! It was all a matter of the temperature reactions of the chemicals, causing imbalance, not that actual liquefaction process. Of course there's no liquid kryptonite on Krypton, it's hot as all hell on most of the planet!" I exclaimed excitedly.
"The matter's molecules don't stay together because they are pulling on each other—"
"They stay together because of the extensive to intensive ratio! They can be combined broken down into homogeneously extracted liquid if the temperature change is dramatic enough!" I stated, finishing for him.

     I fastened a lid on to the test tube and enthusiastically looked around the lab for the next sample to go through the notions, but a hand on the middle of my back stopped me. His hands was cold on my skin. Looking down, I noticed I hadn't changed. Looking up, my eyes met Lex's.

"Mira you've fastened the hold on your brother's excursion." He whispered.
"I suppose I have."
"You've supplemented the treatment for Superman's conducts."
I nodded slowly. "I suppose I have." His hand pulled me closer to him. I couldn't get out of the situation if I wanted to; his hand was rested securely on my lower back.
"I could kiss you my darling." He whispered by my ear.

     His fingers curled slightly on my back and his lips trickled against the bare skin of my shoulders. I shivered slightly and closed my eyes, biting my lip. His lips tenderly traced my neck until they reached my subtle jawline. 

"Tell me, would you consider the transfer of a fiery, yet to this moment self-possessed, reaction to our contiguity?" The words elated the rhythm of my heart's beating. My fingers hooked on to an unoccupied button hole in his lab coat. 

     His hand cupped my cheek. In one swift and sudden motion, his lips met mine. It was as if my skin became something other than skin. It grew so alive, radiating heat like a fire newly lit. My free hand met his chest. His shirt was soft, but shielding his skin from the touch of my fingertips. His hand on my back tugged slightly again causing my hip to press against his. My lips opened to his and the unexpected sensation of our tongues coiled sent a jolt of bewilderment, and a tickle of electrified pleasure, throughout my body. The surges of excitement felt like burning embers on the hairs on the back of my neck as we kissed passionately. 

     When our lips disconnected, I stared at him doe-eyed. It felt as if energy was leaving me and instead re-transferring to him. It felt as if I had borrowed it, and now had to steady my breathing without it.

"You've earned it." He muttered as the corner of his mouth curled slyly. I was at a loss for words. My hand moved away from his chest but his hand remained on my back. He looked down at my exposed skin as he ran a finger up and down my back. "I guess I'm kind of pleased you didn't wear a lab coat tonight. Pleased, I say, but certainly not prepared" he breathed as he used the hand on my cheek to pull my forehead to his. Our eyes met, and through our free hands,  internalized demons intertwined through fingertips. 

"You've inexplicably become the susceptibility of disregard to my envisioned actions Mira Morix."