17

Always back to the television. I always seem to flick it on even if I'm not watching it. Even if I don't want to watch it I end up listening to it. I began gathering my stuff together on to my bed. It was easier for me to pack if I wasn't running around the hotel room to retrieve stuff while doing so. Besides, it helped to prevent me from forgetting something small and seemingly irrelevant until I get home and wind up needing it. I took a deep breath and thought now may be a good time to give Lex a call. So, I did.

"Can I help you?" He spat the words.
"Uh, I, it's Mira?"
"Obviously. How was your meeting with Mr. Wayne? Did it goo as well as you hoped. Of course it did you conniving—"

"Conniving!?"
"Agh! Don't give me such bullshit Miss. Morix. You think I wouldn't figure it out? That no one would tell me? You made it seem like he wanted to meet with you. To discuss what your experiments? The one I helped with? Not him! Not. Him."
"He did."
"Of course! We could have guessed. But why? Why I did not know. Now I know."
"What didn't you know?"
"You. You helped him in to my files. What are you in cahoots? What? Was this all part of your plan? What a conspiracy. Bravo!"
"Cahoots? Lex I am not—"
"I should have never let you come to that event. Silly me. How could I be so naïve? I learned not to trust already."
"What? Lex—"
"Enough! Miss Graves told me she saw you with him in the basements. You knew he was suspiciously down there. You helped. Helped. Allowed. Helped. Have fun in Gotham! You rotten—"
"I did no such thing! I left after—"
"Mm-nuh huh. No no."

There was a knock at my room's door as the line disconnected. I took a deep breath and placed the stupid headpiece on to my night stand. Now wasn't the time for a panic attack.

"Accidents happen."

Shit! She wouldn't have. She wouldn't lie to him.
"If time came you'd lose your job before I did."
But how would she have even gotten in contact with him to help him in to the network?

Now wasn't the time for a panic attack.

"When you do, I'll be back where I started."

     Unless she was the one to let him in. Unless she let him hack himself at that get together. She saw him do it. She had to have. She knew a long time ago she'd pin this crap on me. She was waiting. And I was the conniving one!?

There was another knock at the door.

     She's sneaky. But why? Why would she do it? There was another knock on the door. A migraine bombarded my head ferociously. I felt sick and it was probably because my breathing was becoming irregular. I took the remote and slammed it on to the bed. It made a muffled but distinct slapping sound.

"Just Lex and I."

There was yet another knock. I rubbed my face in hopes it would stop the tears from clouding my eyes. Clearly they're not leaving until I answer. So I did.

"Hi there darling! Mind if I come in?" She came in.
"Are you a maid?"
"What? Oh this? No! Just got me in the front door." Her voice was rather high-pitched compared to those I've talked to lately. Even Lois on an extremely happy day wasn't as energetic as she seemed to be.

     I looked her up and down as she pranced around my room momentarily. In a tight maid's outfit, she walked with her hand on her hips. Her hair was blonde, and pulled in to low pigtails. She was very pretty, and seemingly had a heart painted on one cheekbone. It looked a lot like...like the hearts on playing cards. She was sent here.

"Oh, I was going to say. I don't know that dress code allows for that." I let out a small chuckle as I gestured to her. She giggled rather squeakily.

"What too tight? Mr. J said it looked nice!"
"Mr...Joker?" My face scrunched as she sat on my bed, folding her legs.
"Mhm. The Joker. Listen dollface, we need to talk. Do you have a minute?" I looked around awkwardly. She was asking as if my answer was relevant. Chances were even if I had said 'no', she wouldn't have left.
"Yeah, I don't have anywhere to be." Seemed painfully truthful now that I was more than aware that I shouldn't step foot in LexCorp too soon.
"Wonderful! Splendid darling." The word felt like a bullet to my brain. "Mr. J says you may need my help."
"With what?"
"With getting your brother out of jail of course!" She sprung up from the bed with her hands in the air, a big grin on her face.
"How on Earth are—"
"I used to be a lawyer." It caught me by surprise. I won't lie; she looked nothing like the pompous lawyers my brother spent time with. She couldn't be lying though. Why go through this trouble to lie?
"A lawyer?"
"That's right! I went to law school!"
"Yeah? And what happened?"
"Mr. J had bigger plans for me! Now I make things explode!" She giggled that unnerving giggle again.
"And he thinks you can help get Mason out of jail? How do you even know about—"
"It's better not to ask those types of questions. Makes him real mad." She nodded to herself.
"Yeah well, I have plenty of people mad at me already."

She didn't answer right away. She started walking again before she stopped at the window. Then spun around with both hands on her hips.

"Friend troubles?" She pouted her lips.
"Possibly."
"Then boy troubles?" She was still pouting.
"More likely."

"I know that feeling. Makes me sick, yeah. I'm sure it'll blow over." She nodded and then began to smile as she walked towards me. "So look here's the thing. Mr. J wants me to get your brother out of jail only if you help him demolish the Bat. You know, flat line him?"
I hesitated, but said it anyway. "I'm still not convinced you used to be a lawyer."

     She looked horrifyingly insulted. She crossed her arms and glared daggers my way. If looks could kill, this was that look. I wasn't sure what to say or how to look back at her. It seemed awkwardly dangerous to move. I wasn't sure what to make of her. She seemed morbidly bipolar, and if Joker wanted Batman dead her and 'Mr. J' couldn't be the nicest of people here in Gotham. She took one step towards me and began spewing information one could only learn in law school. Trust me; Mason did it all the time.

"Well, there are several things we can do. First, we can file an action in the district court and move for an injunction against your Senator. We need to show the probability of irreparable harm to your brother's health. We'll also be seeking declaratory relief and damages for any and all commensurable losses you've suffered."
"I don't even know that—"
"In this case, it will be a declaration by the court that you are the rightful owner of the newest cure. As for damages, if we're going to be able to recover your losses, financially, we'll first have to prove them and why having your brother in jail caused them."

Her knowledge in a courtroom setting was incredibly obvious. She must have been an outstanding lawyer before her man showed her 'bigger and better things.'

"Why did you stop being a lawyer again?" As I asked she giggled again, switching personas completely.
"I told you, silly, Mr. J and I had so much fun! So many adventures! I was happy. I tell ya, I'm happy! He's mad but oh so very lovely." She nodded giddily. "Don't you have a—"
"No."
"Oh, right right. Boy troubles. Lex being a little bitch? Men. Pft, he'll get over it."
"How do you—"

"Mr. J says you two spend a lot of time together! Lex wants Superman overpowered just like Mr. J wants Batman to get out of his beautiful green hair...for good, you know?"
"We're not a—"

"Couple? Okay, duo."
"Not that either."
"We'll see about that when we get back to Metropolis."
"You're coming back with me?"
"Of course! Don't be ridiculous! How would I be able to plea your brother's case at this hearing for Superman from here."
"I'm...I don't know." She pranced around once more, putting my stuff in to the pile I was making before she stepped in.
"Harley, by the way." She held her hand to me. "Harley Quinn."

"Mira, Mira Morix."
"So do we have a deal?"

You Let Your Family Die

I shook her hand, trying to curl the corners of my lips in to a smile. I would do anything to get Mason out of jail. He deserved this. He deserved an advocate.

"Yeah, yeah we do."