• k a f f e 1 6 6 8 •

This chapter is dedicated to sundowning for the awesome cover above!

The soft, uplifting sound that reverberated inside my ears was a great company during the lonely night. Reaching for the right side of the phone, I pressed on the lower volume-finally stopping the music. I began removing the earpiece from my ears and glanced out of the window. A beam had formed my lips as I indulged the beauty of the city lights yet, unfamiliar kind of air. I kept memorizing all those structures of building I see from a strange place. I kept memorizing all the roads, name of the stores, and everything that the milieu has to offer. Finally, New York means new life. From this day on, I'm living my life alone. Exactly!

I shifted from my seat as I felt uneasiness on the inside. Somehow, the unfamiliar air I am breathing right at this moment made me a little dizzy. Closing the window of the taxicab, I leaned on the head of the car. Loneliness has invade me for the nth time. I guess I'm going to miss mom, dad, and Daryll. Yet I don't need to pressure myself at the thought. Mom told me they'd call every night. But I should be the one to call them. I should call and ask if they're living their lives properly. I'm worried sick but I have to do this for my sake, too.

I walked through the narrow alleys of New York City. All right, I'm a complete stranger here. I stepped on the slippery road filled with frozen ice. Snows-they might send me to hospital once I stumble on my feet. I adjusted the beanie on my head and zipped my jacket up until it no longer expose my neck. It was way too cold and anytime I could freeze myself to death.

Scary. I crooked my neck over my chest and focused on the path I'm about to walk into. No way people in here would have any idea that I'm new to this area. There are a lot of streetwalkers lighting their cigarettes. There are maniacs looking at some late night workers' legs. Good thing I'm wearing pants. There are lunatics all over the place throwing me lethal glances. There's holdup even in some public area, in which the policemen unseemly notice. How do I live with this kind of place? I now believe New York City is "the city that never sleeps".

"Hey, lady. Wanna join us?"

I walked as fast as my feet could drag me out of here. Some streetwalker taking drugs convinced me to try but I ignored it.

• • •

The past few days have been very hard for me. My knees and feet have never felt as weak as before. Running from different places, bringing important documents required, lining and waiting for feedbacks and getting rejections in small facilities made me want to quit early.

Those extra days of suffering just to find a part-time job was actually worth fighting for. One of the shops where I applied to, accepts applicants as long as the age is above 18. It was a relief finding even the simplest job, as long as it would help me and my family.

I am currently working as a barista on one of the prominent beanery in New York called Kaffe 1668. I usually work very hard and even do overtime to earn larger salary. It's a toilsome task-I mean every job is. You get yourself too worn out by walking to and fro getting all the customers' order. I even have to be scolded by some disrespectful customer and get everyone's attention.

There were times the beanery is on full-house. Sweats would freely trickle down my temples. At the end of my shift, I see stains of coffee and cake icings tattoed in my apron. I never had the chance to sit down for five minutes unless Kyle arrives to take over the next shift. Sometimes, I'd sit at the locker room before actually leaving, staring at my calloused and trembling hand. Sitting at the ground gives me comfort, even if I'm already bathed in my own sweat. Because of a long and busy day, I find myself crying. But it gives me courage and I always end up telling myself, I did a great job for that day.