Chapter twelve

My day's never been the same unlike before. I had a reason to wake up every morning with a smile on my face. Not that I haven't smiled since then, it's just different now. It's a beautiful feeling I couldn't even give it an appropriate term.

The sun started brushing the left side of my cheek early this morning. I began rubbing my eyes and urged to open it. I searched for my phone under my pillow and I was greeted by two messages.

It's from Cain.

Good night, Lauren.

Because he has my number, which he asked from Kyle, we texted each other. It's nothing special but it somehow has a part in our conversation that makes it. I haven't been the type of girl who stays up late at night just to reply a text from a friend.

Cain was different. He talks a lot about anything when we exchange messages and during the long and cold night, which is the perfect time to sleep early. But I stayed up because I enjoy talking to him. There was even a time I called him but he never answered. Told me he stutters a lot when it's phone calls.

We talked a lot yesterday night about the beanery and his school. He's in an art school right now and he said he's doing excellent. And when it was time for bed, I sent him a goodbye message and went to sleep without waiting for his answer.

Then, I received this message at 11:59 PM. Then, his next message says:

Good morning, Lauren. Until next time, my eyes need rest right now.

I received the message at 12:00 AM. Sometimes it makes my mind twitch a little from the thought that he stays up late at night just to talk to me.

And I could prevent myself from typing a message again. Well, he's the kind of guy friend I am looking for. He has a lot of positive things in him. And I wanted to know him more, maybe when I could get a time. Maybe when both of us could get a proper and ample time.

Tell me something interesting, Cain. I hate it when you're formal. This is the last good morning I'll be receiving from you :)

Cain's the good guy, that's according to his twin. Well, because he's my friend, I want to see the other side of him. Being good can sometimes be boring. I also want him to feel comfortable when we're together. When the time comes, I never want him to stutter so, we could call each other late at night instead of texting.

• • •

The day went on as usual at the beanery. I started brewing coffees from different flavours until my shift's done. I enjoyed the day especially that no customers were being mean and half of them are very familiar to me. It means that they've fully learned to love our masterpiece because they've been coming over and over. But at the end of the day, I'd only realized that the smile I put on the whole day would soon fade.

Cain didn't show up.

Sighing, I began packing up my things because I had to leave. The people are getting fewer too, and I couldn't hear the door bell chime again as a signal that there's a new customer.

Stepping out of the beanery, I slowly adjusted the bonnet in my head. Placing my hands inside my pockets was the last thing I needed to do to warm it up. I let out a blow and obviously, a smoke was visible in front of me. Well, because it's freezing cold. I walked across the street as I looked for an empty taxi but all were full.

The snow had already started to fall, too. I love the winter concept but I hated the cold. I wished I brought something thick to protect me from freezing. I was in dire need to be in bed 'cause I'm really tired. If only I could walk all the way to my apartment, I'm already home now. But, I couldn't. So, I stayed and sat on one of the bus station though I don't really need a bus to get home.