• c o f f e e •

This chapter is dedicated to _firebrand_ for the awesome cover above!

The scariest part of an individual's life occurs at adolescence. That is when a teenager starts falling in love but honestly, it's what they call young love or puppy love-maybe a tricky one. It'd fool you and break your heart.

Last night, I knew a guy named Cain - a gatecrasher. I wish I knew his last name. So, I could find a way to search for him. Although it doesn't sound good for a girl to investigate on a guy. Not that I want to find because I like him, just as I say, some strangers are good with conversations, too.

I turned around to get the customer's money when I saw him.

"Hey, hi! Good morning!" I greeted.

"Hi," he greeted, pulling his cap to cover up his face and only leaving his lips exposed.

Finally, he came back. I was afraid the beanery would lose a customer because of the incident last time. This guy have something on his face. Maybe he has a tatoo that just looked like a mole-a scar-a pimple, or something like a guy would be really ashamed to show off.

"The usual?"

"Yes, please," he answered, a smile forming his lips while he left the counter and went on his usual spot.

I flinched as soon as I recalled something, or someone. I was left here, my lips shaking. It wasn't because of the aircon in the beanery. For some reason, his voice sounded like the guy from last night.

I exhaled deeply as soon as I finished brewing the coffee. Sweats filled my temples as well as my palms. I brought the back of my hand to my temples to wipe away those liquids. I glued the note on the coffee cup as what we usually do to value our customers. I breathed out for the nth time before walking to his table with the coffee with me.

Photograph by Nickelback played inside the beanery as if it was a soundtrack of me and my boyfriend's life and I'm walking down the aisle right now with a bouquet of flowers in my hand. But in fact, I was just walking in the beanery with lots of customer. The soft laughter and sound of the utensils filled the shop. But one thing is for sure, one of it is the deafening sound of my beating heart. And I didn't know why I could feel the rapid pulsation on me. It was that feeling I had the first time Guile and I had our first date. It was like the feeling I had when my dad handed me over to Guile for Christmas and warned him to return me home at ten. I am having that feeling right at this moment. It's the kind of nervousness that scares me.

"H-here's your favorite," I stuttered in front of him.

I was trying to act okay but my lips betrayed me. And yeah, I'm in big trouble because this is the first time I'm making the customer uncomfortable with the way I talk. But he never seemed to notice it. Or he was just pretending.

I was starting to walk back to the counter when his voice stopped me, "You said you have to wait after the customer take their first sip on the coffee. I think you forgot."

Scolding myself on my mind, I turned around though it was useless because I can't get a better view of his face. I sauntered closer to his table to apologized for forgetting about my job and thank him for reminding me.

"Sorry, sir. Thanks for the reminder."

He took the coffee and brought it to his mouth. I was nervous; he didn't say a single word after tasting the coffee. I hope I didn't put salt in it like what I did before.

"I would like to have this all my life."

I smiled. Thank God he likes it.

"Thank you, sir. I think I need to go now."

I stopped again when I heard him speak again. I didn't know if it was a piece of joke, prank, or his way of flirting but it made my heart raced unevenly.

"I want you to make the coffee for me, always. Yours is better than the one who usually served me before."

Those words radiated all over my ears and travelled all the way until it reaches my brain. Maybe I was hysterical, paranoid, and annoyingly assuming for him to say something that would leave a mark on me. But nothing came after that.

I skidded to the counter after that. I wanted to look at him. I wanted to see a hint if there's anything I could see to figure out what he really meant by his words earlier. But I stopped myself from looking to where he is sitting. Maybe it was just a compliment, maybe.

After a few minutes of restraining myself from looking at him, I finally gathered a confidence and looked at his empty table. I noticed a paper at the bottom of the coffee cup-like what he did the last time.

And here I am, my feet involuntarily dragged me there. Noticing some people had left the beanery, I wasted my time and walked slowly towards his table. Besides, no customer approached the counter to order and Kyle is there to entertain their orders.

I unfolded the paper and read the message written on it.

Can I take you for a walk when your shift ends? I'll wait until ten.

My eyes widened in shock. Is this serious?

I looked around and see if he was there watching me. My hands trembled, soaking the paper with my sweaty hands, and conspicuosly panicking. What if he's kidding me and probably laughing at my reaction right now? But it couldn't be; I think he's a good guy.

But this is true, I would be meeting him after this. And there's no way I could escape because he'd wait for me. Maybe it's okay, it's just a walk. Taking for a walk tonight means he doesn't need to cover up. Does this mean I could see his face?

This is a stupid curiosity, but what if he is Cain? They have the same voice and shape of lips. I guess that's the only comparison I observed. But if he turns out not, then, I guess it's okay. Maybe Cain doesn't want to see me anymore, he's guessing I'd tell Phoebe he gatecrashed the party. I'd be willing to take a new friend anyway. Maybe-just to breath it out- I can tell a guy friend about my high school heartbreak and how stupid it is to be in a phase of puppy love. I'm wondering what this guy has to say about it.