Chapter twenty

This chapter is dedicated to Isabel7789books for her constant love and support and heartwarming feedbacks in this book!

A movie entitled Stuck in Love says, 'A writer is a sum of experience.' That actor have said those words to his teenager son who writes poetry. He was basically telling his son to go out and live a little, party, get those random conversations from some hot chick in the club, then, from that, he could have an inspiration from composing a poem. Or a story, even.

Not a writer but maybe I could revise that statement to 'A strong woman is a sum of entangled strings of ups and downs'. And that is the reason why I am here tonight, trying to flee from the terrors my ups and downs have brought by experiencing interaction with people. Again.

Bruno Mars's 24K magic song plays in the air as soon as we entered Dean's place. All faces were unfamiliar to me, most girls were blonde and guys were nothing but with sideburns. It's not even midnight but I could catch the smell of alcohol of anyone's breath. Our bodies were mostly touching the crowd and I held his hand tighter so he won't let go.

"Lauren, hey!" I heard someone call my name.

Turning around, I saw Phoebe holding a shot glass in her other hand and the other, to Dean's shoulder. Her hair was pulled into a high ponytail. She got a winged eyeliner, mascara, bright red lipstick, and an overly thick makeup covering her face. Like it's not her. Her purple-colored dress had a huge slit on the sides, backless and it's almost falling.

Pulling Cain's hand, we immediately paced towards her.

"Hey," I greeted as I pulled her into a hug.

"You were late for like..." she watches her phone to check the time, "... twelve minutes."

"I'm so sorry. Anyways, wow, the people are... huge."

"Yeah, most are my high school friends," Dean interrupted.

I laughed.

"Some guy just came to bang some girls so, be careful" he said in a low voice and laugh.

"And... this guy?" Phoebe gave me a teasing look.

"Oh, he's Cain." I looked at Cain who just stood right next to me, frozen, like it's his first party encounter.

Then, I realized, I am still holding his hand. So I let go.

"Cain, this is my friend, Phoebe and her boyfriend, Dean."

"Hi," he greets and waved his hand, shyly.

"Nice to freaking meet you, buddy. Keep Lauren with you," he gave him a manly hug.

I laughed at how awkward Cain was with him.

"Let's remove this. Doesn't suit you."

Phoebe attempted to remove the denim jacket I've been wearing but I held tighter to it.

"No, it's cold."

"Nah, it will be hotter later if you take your first shot. And I bought it for you, you better be showing how fancy the dress is. C'mon!"

She takes off my denim jacket and shoved it to my hand afterwards. I instantly shy away from the two guys and embraced myself. I refused to look at their reaction. I felt naked with this dress.

"Better. Look, babe, this is the real bestfriend goals." She turns me around and she stands beside me, showing our naked backs to the guys.

Dean applauded, "This is getting hotter!"