Chapter nine

This chapter is dedicated to cathylxlo for the awesome cover above!

Staying home and lazily lying on bed was probably the most monotonous thing to do for an individual's entire life. Sometimes, I hate living. Because living won't exist without going through rough roads. Not even the infants can escape from that thing. Infants are prone to getting hypothermia. Well, I am having it now. I feel like I have little fats in my body to protect me from coldness and that I am always vulnerable like every infant does.

Bad luck for me because I am living alone here in my apartment. No mom to take care of me. I didn't have to bring myself to the hospital because I know I can still manage things. I jus have to stay home quietly and wait until I'm okay working.

I slept all day with my jacket on. Luckily, I didn't die for not eating the whole day because I had no appetite and in no mood to walk to and fro around the kitchen. I lived because I encouraged myself to increase my oral fluid intake, just what nurses always remind Daryll before when he was diagnosed for having anemia.

Well, Chuck's right when he told me yesterday to stay home. He told me that anytime I might get sick. After he sent me home yesterday, he just told me to put on layers of clothes and drink hot fluids.

Just as I was closing my eyes again, my phone buzzed to life. I placed my phone under my pillow, which I usually do. Unknown number was written on my phone's screen. This couldn't be urgent telling me I need to go work at the beanery.

I placed the phone on my left ear whilst having my eyes half asleep. Without bothering to say hello, I let out a huge sigh so that someone on the other line would know that I'm real tired right now.

"Y-you fine?"

I stood up from my bed, with the towel on my forehead dropped next to my pillow. This sounds like Cain, from the party. Tricky, Cain the gatecrasher have the same voice as Chuck.

And he was stuttering, calling me. I didn't answer but continued listening to what he has to say.

"Uh, Kyle gave me your number. This is C-chuck."

Fie! Why does Chuck sound like Cain sometimes? And why on earth is he stuttering on the other line?

"I'm still cold. You do, too?" I asked, because seems like he is.

"Uh, no."

"You're stuttering. You're freezing, aren't you?"

"Uh, no. Sorry."

What has happened to Chuck again? He called me but he's out of words right now. Based on observations, I think almost all of the girls are the ones who could speak less when they talk to a guy. When a guy speaks a little, either he is shy or awkward. I don't know but it seems to me he belongs to the former. I think he is shy, talking to me.

"So, why'd you get my number from Kyle and called me?" I got interested.

"Uh, listen. I just called to check on you, Lauren. I was told you're having hypothermia."

My brows furrowed in confusion. Who told him that when he knows I am going to get sick? He knew it himself that I have hypothermia. In fact, he said it himself yesterday.

"Who told you when in fact you knew what happened to me? You sent me home yesterday, remember?"

"Uh, yes. I was kidding."

Well, he doesn't sound so. He seems to forget that we're together yesterday. That was kind of weird because he also said "him" before. Chuck is probably the weirdest person, no offense. His behavior changes too often and I'm getting a bit crazy comprehending.