• ga t e c r a s h e r •

This chapter is dedicated to sighlights for the awesome cover above!

We all crave for connection, human touch, and emotions. As cliché as it sounds, without all these three, we wouldn't live longer. Connection, it's basically ourselves that says "we crave for conversations" when you feel detached in your world. Human touch, we all desire the arms being wrapped around us telling us that everything's okay. Most of all, emotions. Once someone had shatter you into pieces and left you hanging in an unfinished road, your perspective on emotions suddenly alters. You try to distance yourself, almost shutting your emotions to every person you met in the most possible way.

Phoebe's birthday party will finally happen tonight. She keeps on insisting me to make myself presentable on her party. Her birthday's motif is masquerade on some romantic night which I think is not helpful. If she's trying to find a prince for that night, it won't really happen. She mentioned she'll only invite her close friends and distant relatives. But I don't think she'll look for another guy because she already had someone in her heart-the pre-vet intern.

As I finished making myself a cup of coffee, I opened the windows revealing joggers on their usual getup swarmed all over the street like they're running for their lives. Some jogged with their dogs while some jogged alone. Most of the people are old couples, which I honestly don't like seeing. I'm actually not a fan of Nicholas Sparks-like couples especially I had a bitter one. Not that I hate it, but it makes me sad.

Third day at an adult high school wasn't bad at all. I've found some friends, spent time reviewing with them, talked about the reasons why they dropped out. It's great hearing the different stories they had. It's good that they're aiming for finishing high school, too, despite of all the dilemmas they encountered. Five hours in class made me wish to pause for a while so, I went to Macy's. Time to find that what's appropriate for a masquerade.

I ran my fingers through the corners of the mask. The red glowing glitters and the single feather glued on one side of the mask makes it even more beautiful. I took it and covered the areas around my eyes. I watched myself in the mirror. I remembered I did stare at myself and it ended the fairytale feeling.

Tears formed under my eyes. Stupidity was the most unbearable thing I did before. Tension began as I felt my heart squeeze because I cried again.

"You're gorgeous wearing that."

I heard a familiar voice I could not recall where I heard it. I raised my head and looked at the guy standing next to me. I couldn't see his eyes because he was wearing a hood and looking at some stuff displayed there.

"Thanks," I mumbled.

At least I deserved to be called gorgeous for some stranger like him. Gladly, this is the last time I'd believe every lie that I hear. But if it wasn't a lie, then, I greatly appreciate it.

"You're attending a party tonight?" he asked while still lingering on the expensive glasses.

I nodded. I don't wanna talk because anytime I know my voice would break. My throat hurts right now and I feel like bile has gotten on it. Admitting to myself, my heart hurts more than ever.

"Well, have a great night. I believe there's more loveliness under that red mask."

I stood still there in front of the mirror watching my face covered by the mask. His last statement got me a little creeped out but I erase the thought away.