Chapter eight

This chapter is dedicated to _firebrand_ for the awesome cover above!

Tapping my fingers on the counter, I waited patiently for the first customer. The class didn't take up to five hours since the professor had an urgent meeting so I went early here in the beanery. Fortunately, after a few minutes, customers began showing up inside. Some enjoyed their morning coffee alone with a newspapers in their hand. Some enjoyed their meals with their loved ones and friends.

I continued brewing the coffee and afterwards brought it to the customers. A melancholic music with a heartbreaking lyrics filled the shop. Damn, why does the lyrics of the song feels like teasing what I've been through? I don't know whoever the singer is but I swear, I hate her for writing that song. She feels what I exactly felt when someone broke my heart.

But the song didn't even have an effect on the customers inside the shop. I could hear them laugh and there isn't even a single thing that could say they're hurting because of the song. Instead, laughter and the sound of the utensils was all I could hear.

Maybe this is just my feelings again. I shook my head and ignored the song. I leaned my head on the counter since there aren't any new customers.
After a few seconds, the door bell chime made a sound and I heard the door's opening.

I tilt my head to greet the customer coming towards the counter. I was surprised he came, Chuck came again. It's surprising how he's not covering his face now.

He is wearing a plain white shirt and a dark pants matched it. And another style of scarf wrapped around his neck too to provide warm and combat the still chilly morning.

He walked towards the counter. Nervousness was evident on his face. And I don't know why but he is not smiling. In fact, I should be the one who needs to be angry for what he did last time leaving me alone.

"Hi," he greeted, looking away.

"Hi," I replied, getting the money he just placed on the counter.

"Espresso, I guess," I continued while getting a mug.

"I'm sorry for not coming."

I immediately looked at him. Wait, what's he talking about? Is it about not coming here at the beanery or for leaving me last time?

"Excuse me?"

"Can I take you for a walk? Again?"

He stared at me for a long time. And after a few seconds, I laughed at him, Chuck's probably kidding.

"Sorry, Chuck. I need to work because I need money so that I could live."

He looked so sad and maybe, a little bit disappointed? He looked away and nodded.

"Yeah, I'm kidding. I'll wait at the table."

My brows furrowed in confusion. He sounded serious and it wasn't obvious he was just kidding.

He walked to his usual spot in the beanery while I continued making his favorite. I don't know, Kyle is not here again so, that leaves me to be the only one here. And he has no choice but to approach me to make him his coffee.

I walked towards his table and placed the coffee in front of him. He muttered thanks without looking at me. He can't seriously be so cold with me. What's happening to him?

"I'm glad you're not covering your face anymore, Chuck."

Wow. This is creepy. Saying his name is making me a bit scared. No reason, just uncomfortable.

"I'm so glad I met you, Lauren."

Well, he doesn't look like he does. He kept avoiding my eyes.

"Umm... I think I need to go back to the counter, Chuck. Another customer waiting, I guess."