• b e s t f r i e n d •

This chapter is dedicated to rheaday97 for the awesome cover above!

At exactly seven forty-five post meridiem, I walked athwart 275 Greenwich Street along the FDR Drive so I could go home. I just finished working from the beanery. I had to walk home empty-handed. I was scolded for being careless today. One customer actually ruined my day today; it wasn't my fault that she thinks the coffee sucks. She complained that the coffee is bitter. Of course, it is! But I'm starting to say she's crazy for saying it because for all I know, she left the cup empty on the table. She didn't even pay for it. Sometimes, there's this kind of person who doesn't really make sense-they're confusing.

Walking along the street, I found a can on the ground. I kicked it and vent my feelings out. I can't speak and will always remain voiceless. The world of customers and baristas-it's never the same. We became slaves, some times. Whether I'm correct or not, our manager always believe customers. Alright, they stick to the saying that 'Customers are always right'.

Forcing my feelings to not intensify, instead of going home, I dropped by at Macy's to buy chocolates and whatnots. I used to buy chocolates when I had an awful day. The usual scene is observed there, throng of people pacing back and forth with all their grocery bags and some other things they buy.

"Ow!"

I turned to my left to see that I accidentally bumped to someone. Her eyes seem to cheesed off but we both stop and stared at each other for the longest time. Instantly, it was registered on our brains that we actually knew each other. We're nothing but best of friends! Then, the sad feeling faded in me just by seeing my bestfriend.

"Lauren Grace!" she exclaimed in awe while pointing her hands on me.

"Phoebe McKinley!"

Navigating closer to her, I pulled her in a hug. One year had passed yet we haven't contacted each other and met even in the busy streets of the city. She didn't respond to any of my messages after graduating. I thought she hates me for being stupid. I thought she hates me for neglecting myself and school just because of my biggest heartbreak. But that was not it.

She was my bestfriend ever since third grade. She used to live in my neighborhood. As a child, I wanted a friend when everything around me seems to go wrong. Everyone teases me because of the visible hairs on my upper lip. I never know what pain is at that time. But I'm sure it makes me cry. I always locked myself up on the closet and never stop crying until I fall asleep.

My life became lighter and a bit easier when Phoebe and her family moved next door. We had a secret friendship. Her parents are strict with her; she had no freedom to choose her own friend. The strictness and little policies of her parents were never a hindrance to create friendship between us.

We do crazy things especially when we became teenagers, expect it. Phoebe's never been the studious type of human being while I'm the opposite. Being friends with her made it a challenge. It's easy offering her the chance that I'd let her copy my works but she refused. The funniest and thrilling thing we did was sneak out at night from home. Helping her get access in the faculty and capture the answer sheets for the next day's exam was one hell of a sinful deed-but fun!

"So, you're on your pre-vet internship now?" I inquired.

She nodded while taking a sip on the lemonade. I remembered she used to tell me that she likes taking care-not only people but animals too. Owning fifteen motley breeds of dog is strange. It must be an addiction, I supposed. She had this saying that not only people needs care. Animals are breathing-they are animate and they need love, too.