Chapter sixteen

This chapter is dedicated to -BENTOVERBCKWRDSO1 for her non-stop support on this book!

At the moment, I feel like a child seeking comfort from a guardian who left home. Fragile, sensitive, and broken as I am, I crave for a different kind of protection. Anyone can give protection to everyone else and the way they show it matters. There's an iota of moments that I become selfish. Like a child, I would cry when my parents embrace another child with elation in their eyes and lips. At this moment, if Cain steps away, it would be the most terrifying thing. I never want to let go of him, it's the kind of utmost selfishness I recognized in myself.

His hands felt like a shelter I've been seeking for my entire existence. Being buried in his chest and harbored by his arms calms the uproar of my mixed up emotions. His chest felt like the softest pillow I'd let my tears soaked in. The scent of his cologne was intoxicating I could totally feel it in my own self.

The deafening silence filled the room yet my weeping overpowers it. The static light bulb in my room seem to flicker on and off like it was a thunder contemplating whether to punish or calm us down. The slow rise and fall of his chest and rapid pulsating of his heart accompanied me when I was out of breath. Cain stood close to me, his body tensed as our bodies were pressed to each other.

"This may sound inane but-are you okay?" he finally asked, his voice trembled.

I pulled away, drying my wet cheeks, "This may sound pretentious but-a little bit-I am fine."

Taking slow strides towards the edge of my bed, I motioned him to sit at the chair across my bed.

"I'm sorry I was such a nuisance, Cain."

He shook his head, met my eyes with his rueful glance.

"No, you're not. I wanted to be the first one to comfort you, at least."

Heck, my eyes were seeking for the Cain I met at the party. I told myself it's would be great sharing something to a stranger like him. I guess I would stop hoping that he'd show up again. Cain Neuton is here, willing to listen to every story I have to say.

My hands were tightly gripped around the box of polaroids that's been sitting atop my knees. My eyes landed on them as I arranged them.

"What are those?" He seem calm.

"Polaroids. They made me cry."

"Can I see them?" he asks.

I gave him a knowing look, hesitation comes in on me.

"I mean... if that's okay with you," he added.

I stood up and sauntered towards him, handing the box of polaroids.

"Tell me about him," he breathed out as he saw our different photos.

"That's Guile. He was my auld lang syne," I told him, still sniffling.

He didn't gave a comment on it instead, his hands went through all the photos in his hands. He riffles on them, studying each words written at the back of it, and scrutinizing our emotions on the photo.

I fell silent, waiting until he finishes them. My baggy eyes seemed to drift off but I fought not to. These eyes that experienced salty tears until nothing's left unconsciously looks at the man across me. For once in my life, I wish to see that reflection I've been wanting to see in anyone's eyes. Though I cried, my aquivering lips involuntarily moved up into a smile.

"What's the reason?" he seem utterly speechless.

"Cain, I left a space for him in my heart. I don't know why he did what he did."