EPILOGUE

“Mommy, are we there yet, I wave to use the bathroom?”

“In a moment Ella! I warned you not to drink your juice because it’s a long ride.” I said looking at the antsy child through the rear view mirror.

And let’s play a classic from our X-Factor group One Direction! This is Best Song Ever.” The radio announcer said with enthusiasm and Ella went mad.

“Turn it up, turn it up!” she squealed.

“What’s the magic word?” I said teasing her

“Please.” She stretched out the word with her voice full of plead.

I rose the volume and listened as she sang along. Her 3 year old voice mixed with theirs always made me smile.

Half way through the song we finally arrived at the house I honked to signal we’re here. I took the keys out of the ignition and the radio shut off but Ella kept singing. I grab the gift bag from the passenger seat as the front door opened and Ella ran inside, probably in dire need of a bath room.

I smiled as I was greeted with open arms and the smell of brownies.

“Hey mum, happy birthday.” Before she could say anything dad popped up from the living room.

“HALEY BEAR!” immediately I walked to him and wrapped my arms around him.

“Hi dad,” I pulled away from him but still held him, “Have you been working out?” I joked squeezing his forearms.

“Oh you’ve noticed well,” he began but as mum closed the door she laughed.

“Huh, if you call picking at the brownies all day working out.” I always loved mums sarcasm.

“…best song eva it was the best song ever it was the best song ever,” Ella came skipping back just as she was finishing the song. “Grandad!” she yelped as she practically jumped in his arms.

“Oh how’s my Ella bo bella!” he said tickling her lightly on the stomach making her giggle.

“Good, hi mumzy!” she wiggled out of dad’s hold and ran to mum. We have no idea why but Ella hates calling mum grandma so mumzy is what she goes by. “Guess what.” She said with enthusiasm.

“Mmm you found the purple dragon with the tutu!” mum’s randomness was just as loved as her sarcasm.

“Haha no i-,” she was about to start when she was interrupted.

“Did I hear someone found the purple dragon, I’ve been looking for that for ages!” oh gosh here we go.

“UNCLE ZAYNIE! Ready one…two…three!” Ella counted down.

“And we danced all night to the best song ever, we knew every line now we can’t remember,” over the years Ella and uncle Zayn had this mandatory thing that whenever they saw each other the first thing they did was the dances that they did in Best Song Ever at the end.

“Ooo I almost got your part right.” Ella cheered as they finished, she’s been trying to get his high note for ages but she runs out of breath between the dancing and the singing.

“Okay you two lets go outside there are others too and we’ve got a big jumping castle!” as soon as those two word left dads mouth Ella booked it to the yard.

As we got out side cheers of ‘HEY’ and ‘HALEY BEAR’ erupted. Dad always called me Haley bear and soon enough everyone else stopped using Hales as my nick name and referred to that. During my teen years I hated the name, being called Haley bear in front of friends and boyfriends was embarrassing but as I got older it grew on me.