Chapter 2

The alpha's house is intimidating.

It's like standing in front of a giant beast ready to devour you and you can't do anything to stop it. And that is probably a very accurate description considering what's waiting for us on the inside.

'I'm scared, mom.' I say, swallowing.

I'm not ashamed of how I rely on my mother so much. She is a fantastic person and it is not a weakness to admit to fear in my eyes anyway.

'Don't worry. I am too.' That makes me laugh a bit. She is just as petrified as I am, but she is standing up straight, exuding an unmistakable aura of dominance, even on the alpha's land.

We walk up the steps together and are immediately being ushered in by what I assume is another pack wolf. The boy leads us to a room and gestures towards double doors before vanishing.

I briefly look at mom. This is it.

She nods and when she does, I push the door open without knocking first. They would have know that we were there anyway.

The room we enter isn't necessarily big, but the space is very well used. It is also very obviously the alpha's office.

There's a large round table taking up one half of the room, which four people are already sitting at.

Two I know, it's my mate and this Raphael guy, right next to each other. Instinctively I want to jump at him again, daring him to get any closer to my mate, but I know better than to do that, especially with my mother here. She would try to protect me, even against an angry alpha wolf.

The other two people on the table I don't know, but considering the situation, it's quite obviously the alpha couple.

I feel mom's hand nudging me and I gingerly take a step closer to the table. The alpha gestures me to sit and I do, right next to his wife. Mom ends up sitting next to Raphael.

The alpha clears his throat before the situation can get any more awkward and I silently thank him for it. As much as I really do not want to have this conversation, I even less want it to be awkwardly silent. That would just put me on edge and that is currently not such a good idea.

'My name is Timothy Nye. This is my wife Amber and my daughter Sheila.' he introduces his family. He then gestures to Raphael before continuing.

'This is Raphael. He has been orphaned as a young child and grew up in our family. He is my son.' The statement alone speaks books. The guy is not just a mate of the alpha's daughter, but also considered his son as well. That just makes me want to be here even less. I feel like an outsider when I clearly shouldn't.

'As I understand it-'
'I am Christa Brigham and this is my son Donovan.' mom interrupts him. I look at her eyes wide, but only for the fraction of a second, before my eyes move to the alpha, gauging the threat. My mother isn't the only one that would protect this family if need be.

But he has a satisfied smile on his face, which confuses me. His wife doesn't necessarily seem to agree though.

I frown and look back at mom, who still exudes that unbelievable confidence, even though she's gripping my hand below the table painfully.

'What I was trying to say,' Timothy continues still with a smile on his face, 'is that from what I hear, my daughter here has managed to get two mates instead of one.'
Immediately, the tension on the table rises. Timothy hasn't changed a bit, still smiling with seemingly no worries, but the rest of us are obviously on edge.

'Has anyone any ideas as to what could have happened? Frankly, I don't.' It's rare for an alpha to admit to not knowing or being able to do things. This one has already earned my respect for that alone, but at the moment, that is far from important.