Chapter 3

Mom sends me ahead once the meeting is over. Everyone else is already gone, except for us and the alpha.

I leave the house, not meeting anyone on the way, and wait outside, by our car. There's this urge to know what mom and the alpha need to discuss, but I don't dare make any assumption, I know mom will tell me at some point.

It takes her about 15 minutes to come out and when she does, she's the same as always. I don't ask, because she knows how curious I am anyway.

On the ride home she keeps going on about how ignorant Amber is and I just listen, happy to have a mother like her.

The day after, when uni is finished, I spot my mate outside. She notices me as well and waves me over with a smile.

I feel as though my heart is tumbling over at the gesture. I look around and Raphael is nowhere to be seen, so I make my way over as fast as possible.

I feel my smile stretch further the closer I get to her and hers does to.

"Do you wanna go on a date later?" she asked once I reach her and I seem to lose all ability to speak. Never in my life have I thought that having a mate can change me that drastically and even though generally I wouldn't welcome change to how I am at all, if it's for my mate, I don't want it to stop.

So I only nod, working around my starstruck moment.

"Brilliant. Casual dinner fine with you?" Her eyebrow arches slightly and it's the absolute cutest thing.

"Sure." I say, or rather mumble, still far too taken by her beautiful face and all the expressions she makes.

"Alright. I'll be at your house at 7, yeah?" She's already sitting in her car, halfway done the road when I manage a quiet "yeah".

"Well, that was anti-climatic." a sarcastic voice says next to me.

I whip my head around from where I was staring at my mate's disappearing car and look at a small woman.

"Wouldn't have pegged you for the timid type." She says, whipping back and forth on her feet. I try to remember why she seems to familiar but I really don't have a clue at all.

"We met yesterday." she then explains, interpreting my lost look correctly, "I guess you forgot. Alright, then, rewind."

She stands up straight, a serious look on her face, until suddenly, a giant grin makes its way onto it.

"Hi there! Lovely to meet you! My name is Meredith, but I prefer Mary, so please go with that. Thanks. What's yours?" she rattles down.

When I only blink, she shoots me a questioning look.

"Donovan." I manage. She's so strange.

"Cool. Always wanted a friend whose name starts with a D. Then again, I do know this guy called Dexter. Does he count as a friend though? We've not really talked and he was quite bitchy at that one party. I guess he doesn't. Which means, you're now officially my best friend out of all my friends whose name starts with a D." she announces proudly after he speech.

There's a silence between us, right up until the moment when I turn away and leave without a word.

I'd rather get away before it's too late.

Apparently, it already is.

Because it takes maybe half a minute until she's walking in front of me, backwards. Which means she's facing me. Which means there's absolutely no way for me to escape her talking.