Chapter 41

As predicted, the group comes back the next morning, declaring that my old pack agreed to the terms and then after that, faster than anyone could have guessed, we're welcoming wolves from our old pack onto our lands. Our own scouts should be arriving right about now as well.

There's an icy silence when the seven scouts arrive at our pack house. I'm mainly putting it down to Randy, who stands at the front, arms crossed over his chest, feet wide and generally looking to be in an even pricklier mood than usual. He has a stare down with the newcomers and I'm willing to bet he would be perfectly fine doing that all day, or however long it takes for them to cower in defeat. Fortunately for us, it only takes a couple of minutes until all of them glance away and I secretly grin to myself; there's no point in even trying.

'Okay, okay. Welcome to our pack!' this is Marc, wearing a pleasant smile and patting his mate on the lower back, probably telling him to lay off the new folks until they at least introduce themselves. It doesn't do much. Randy just huffs, but turns around and marches off towards the pack house. On the way, he picks up Elif, who was standing by watching, uncharacteristically silent.

The wolves nod at the Alpha's greeting and proceed to introduce themselves. While I remember seeing them around, I don't actually know any of their names. I never was very close with that pack in the first place. I forget their names the moment they say them, but I can tell they're not stupid. Our old Alpha chose them for a reason. I can see them watching their new environment, assessing it in their heads and I make a mental note to keep an eye on them. Although, judging from Randy watching from a window on the second floor and his daughter imitating his scowl, I probably won't actually have to worry that much.

I know them. Raph's voice drifted into my head and as I do often when I'm not prepared for it, I jump slightly.

They never liked me. Some of them are good friends with Sheila as well. And I think a couple of them were part of the group that chased us down when we left.

I stiffen. It's not that I'm surprised really. It's not a bad idea to send wolves that don't like us to begin with, but it's still not exactly reassuring.

Once the Alpha takes them inside to show them to their rooms, I grab Raph's arm and drag him towards the woods and our home. He lets me pull him along until we're a good way into the safety of the trees.

'You okay?' I ask, holding his face in my hands and staring into his eyes to make sure he's with me.

'Yeah, it's just.. strange. I know I'm safe, but it's hard to not feel anxious with them here...' by the way he lets the end of the sentence just hang in the air, I can tell there's more.

'Tell me what's really bothering you?' I ask in a softer tone.

He doesn't really answer, but one of his hands moves to his belly and that's when it clicks.

'You think they'd go after the baby.' It's a statement, not a question. I hug him.

'Don't even worry about that. As if anyone will let anything happen to her. We'll make sure she's safe, I promise.'

'But I can't protect her like this!' he raises his voice and pushes away from me. He paces a few seconds and then suddenly start screaming.

'I can't protect anything like this! I won't even be able to protect you if something happens! I'm vulnerable because if anything happens to me, she'll have to pay the price! I don't want to just sit around, but I can't do anything, I'm useless like this!'

He's angry and frustrated and I honestly don't know what to say. I remember meeting him for the first time, the impression he made on me. He looked strong, capable and his eyes held a wild conviction that even back then I couldn't help but admire. His whole body, his posture, they all screamed power and dominance and I now understand what it means to him to protect what's important to him. In that regard, we're both very similar and I couldn't imagine what it must feel like to have the ability to help, but be hindered by that same love you want to protect.