Chapter 31

'I thought Clarissa was on patrol with you?' Raph asks while undressing.

'She was, not sure why she's even still around.'

We both make it outside a second later, starting up into a run and shifting midair. It doesn't take us long at all to meet up with another two pack members also heading to the border, but neither of them seem to know what exactly is going on either, as they just shake their head.

We speed up, making it there in less than a minute and I freeze immediately. Raph is behind me, so he doesn't see at first, but there's no way I can let him, he would only get himself hurt. Without thinking I charge, right at the boy standing outside the border, desperate and for good reason. Right in front of him Clarissa is keeping him out, as she should be as port of patrol, but behind him are three rogues, running straight at him. I don't have much time, definitely not enough to explain to the pack members what is going on, so I just grab the boy, twist him around and use his weight to throw both of us inside the pack lands, immediately after covering him with my body. I cannot let any of the pack members get to him. Luckily for me, all three of them are preoccupied with keeping the rogues behind borders, but I know as soon as they are far enough away, they would do what their duty asks them to: get rid of the intruder. Even if that means manhandling me.

So I shift back, keeping the boy underneath me an quietly whisper 'stay still' to him. I don't pay attention to whether he heard me or not, instead I address Clarissa and the other two directly.

'I know the boy, he's not a threat, I will send him home soon, just let him rest to make sure the rogues don't find him when he crosses the border again.'

'We can't let you do that Donovan. I can't confirm his identity, so at the very least we need to let the Alpha know and decide.' Clarissa sighs at the last part. I know she is making a massive exception and it's really only because we've become quite close friends over the years. Right now, this is a relief.

'Can we meet at our house please?' I ask, while slowly getting up. I hear another sigh escape her, before she sends the other two wolves to go report to the alpha, probably deciding to stay with us to be on the safe side.

'Sam.' Raph's voice is simply a whisper as he stands stone still where he had to stop earlier. I help the boy up as he only has eyes for his brother.

'Raph!' he sobs as he runs to him, throwing his arms around Raph's torso in what seems to be quite a grip for an 11 year old. I can't suppress the little smile that plays on my lips at watching this. Raph is still frozen, but suddenly his eyes find mine with a helpless question. I only smile encouragingly at him and mouth 'go', before turning to Clarissa to explain. Only, I'm not quite sure what I'm explaining in the first place. I have absolutely no idea how Sam got here, I'm fairly sure the pack wouldn't allow him to leave to find us, let alone being able to dodge my mum to do it alone. Immediately, a coldness washes over me at the thought. Does that mean...?

'Your mother is fine. She doesn't know I'm here.' a voice calls from behind me. I turn around and sure enough, Sam's eyes are trained on me, even though he's currently being squashed by Raph.

'So this is Raphael's brother? From your old pack? How in all that is holy did he end up here? Thought your old pack hates you?' Clarissa asks bewildered, and I can't even fault her. I'm confused as well.

'Let's go home and wait for the Alpha. Then you'd better spill, kid.' I playfully threaten. Sam just giggles and pats Raph's arm in an attempt to let him go. I highly doubt that will happen anytime soon, but I'm also aware that he's probably been listening to everything that's been said as well. He's not one to completely miss things. And I'm not wrong, because Raph hoists Sam up onto his hip, apparently deciding to carry him home like he would a young child.