Chapter 43

A couple of days after our little outburst in Marc's office, we get a letter to our house. A letter. He could have just sent someone over to tell us. But no, instead he sent someone over with a letter. I sigh, but open it up immediately. Raph is looking over my shoulder curiously. There's only one little piece of paper with two words scrawled on it.

'Two weeks?' Raph reads it aloud. I sigh again.

'I'm assuming that's when he's gonna go and get them.'

'That's great!' Raph says with a smile on his face and hugs me closer to him. I let the letter drop in favour of hugging my mate back and giving him a little peck. I'm excited as well. I can't wait for them to finally be here and be with us. But I'm also worried about the obvious tension between the Alpha and us. We've been such good friends for so long, it feels strange to feel the need to tip toe around him now - and even worse to barely see him in the first place.

'What's bugging you?' Raph eventually asks when I don't answer him calling my name.

'Marc.' is all I say.

Now he sighs in my stead and pulls me to sit with him on the ground.

'You know he was only protecting his mate. We stormed in there with no prior notice and we felt light a threat. You would react the same way. I would, too.'

I know he's right, but it's still the first time I'd felt this distanced to him over such a small matter.

'Hey.' Raph turns my face so I have no choice but to look at him, 'You know, this might just feel worse because you're part of the pack now. You have a much stronger connection to him now than you did before and so it's probably harder to figure out what to do and how to deal with this. You'll be fine. This was nothing and both of you know it. Once you've both calmed down and worked through the awkwardness of talking about it, you'll be fine.'

His forehead is touching mine now and he is intently staring at me as he says this and for some reason, I can't help but chuckle.

'You're probably right.' I finally concede and lean my head on his shoulder, hugging him to me.

'I'm always right.' He whispers in my ear and this time, I just laugh out loud. This man is truly everything to me.

Two weeks seems like barely any time at all when you think about it, but once you have to wait for something for two weeks, it seems like an eternity. Days don't seem to pass at all.

Raph and I spend our time sneaking around the pack house in hopes of doing our work without meeting the Alpha and retreat to our original home at the end of every day. We don't do much else than that. The only things I can think of are my pregnant mate, the fallout I had with the Alpha and the possibility of being reunited with the other half of my family soon.

Elif comes by a couple of times during our wait, giving us updates she overhead her parents talk about and swearing us to secrecy about her being here with us in the first place. She's trying to mend in her own way. Often she'll invite us to come to her place to eat, or tell us that Randy asked for us, all in an attempt to get us in the same vicinity as her father.

Other times, she gets so frustrated that she'll feel the need to complain about the "lack of spine" her father seems to have when he's supposed to be the Alpha and she'll get herself so worked up that she sheds a few angry tears. I learned that when her face starts getting blotchy and her eyebrows crowd together over her nose even more than when she was just angry and when her lower lip starts shaking just a tiny bit, that's when her tears are close. Raph and I would do our best to make sure she felt okay before going home every time, although mostly she would refuse and throw a tantrum about wanting to stay with us as well.