Chapter 5

A few days later and I've not seen neither my mate nor Raph since the awkward date.

I'm at uni, trying to get by until I can leave and go for a run.

'Hey!' a peppy voice snaps me out of my daydreaming.

I stop dead in my tracks, just in time to not run into the short girl I faintly remember seeing before.

'You forgot my name again, right?' she says then, a grin on her small face. I nod hesitantly, not really knowing how to deal with the situation and even that, seems like it's happened before.

'My name is Meredith, Mary for short, and if you forget again I'll write it on your wrist with waterproof sharpie.' she threatened playfully.

I only nod and walk past her. Somehow, I don't really feel like talking to anyone here.

Where we lived before, I've always been getting along with everyone and had a small group of good friends. Here, it's like I don't have any aspiration to be anything with anyone apart from my mate. She is the one exception.

'So I take it you got into a love triangle with the love birds?' she asks curiously and only then do I realise that she's followed me.

I grunt as a response because, again, I really don't feel like talking to her.

However, I do remember her now.

'If I were you, I'd keep an eye out for someone else in all honesty. Like, there's so many good looking girls around, take your pick.' she says, as if it would solve all my problems. In that moment, I hate her for that.

'What? Like you?'

It escapes me before I even register it. Immediately I apologise. This isn't like me and it shouldn't be.

However, Mary only smiles.

'It's no biggie. And for the record, I wasn't talking about me. I've actually got a boyfriend, believe it or not.'

She winks at me and continues to follow me along the hall towards my next lecture.

Apparently, she's got the same one.

For the first time since coming here, the lecture is actually fun.

Mary told me to sit with her to make up for being so rude before. So I did.

We exchange annoyed glances, little drawings about the teacher all lecture and she keeps pointing at girls that apparently suit me much better than my mate. I don't correct her, even though I barely look at anyone she points out long enough to notice anything.

'What about that?' she then says, pointing at yet another person. I only briefly look up, but do a double take immediately when I realise who she's pointing at.

'Raphael?! Are you mad?' I whisper shout at her. She giggles and suggestively wiggles her eyebrows.

Of course.

So I just roll my eyes and try to go back to taking notes.

'No honestly, he's so hot.' she says, fanning herself as if it suddenly got unbelievably hot. I ignore her then. Because even if what she says is true, I wouldn't even notice. I have my mate now.

Once the lecture finishes, she insists on giving me her phone number and then proceeds to threaten me until I give in.

We stand there laughing and chatting and I find myself enjoying my time with this small, red haired monster that calls herself my friend.