Chapter 14

My eyes quickly find Raphael's and I can't help myself when I peck him on the lips before jumping off his lap and the bed to run towards Zach.

We collide without even trying to soften the blow as we stumble around the room hugging and laughing. I don't understand how I went so long without him.

'God I missed you.' I say when we finally stop tumbling around. We cling onto each other, just revelling in the other's presence.

'Me too, buddy, me too.' he returns, patting my back lightly.

We pull apart when Raphael clears his throat.

'Do I need to be jealous?' he asks, but a small smile is pulling at his lips. I only laugh.

'Raphael, this is my best friend, Zach. Zach this is...' my hand stops moving mid-air as I fail to make up my mind about what to call Raphael.

'I'm Raphael. Nice to meet you.' he helps me out once he realises how much I'm struggling.

Raphael climbs out of my bed and shakes Zach's hand. I can tell Zach is already assessing him.

'Alright children. Let's go downstairs, I made some early lunch for us pretty people.' my mum laughs before leaving the room. Zach and I are the last to leave the room, but he holds me back. I gesture Raphael to leave before us as I know Zach wants to talk to me.

'You didn't tell me you found your mate.' he starts once the door is closed. I know he's probably butt hurt about not knowing, but also trying to figure out what feels off about the situation.

'It's not that easy.' I begin to explain. He only shrugs and says: 'Then give me the short version. We'll talk more once that hunk of a man has left.' A grin grows on his face as he wiggles his eyebrows and I immediately hit his arm out of habit.

'Please don't call him that.' I groan.

He only snorts before quieting down, signalling me to start talking. I sigh.

'I met my mate on my first day at this uni. Knew immediately who they were, was happy and everything.'

'So?' Zach urges me on. I know he's completely confused since this is very normal and from what he's witnessed, we get along perfectly fine. Cough.

'When you called the other day I was at Raphael's house for the weekend. We kissed for the first time.' I continue. I know that I'm not getting to the point at all and Zach's increasing confusion and frustration is evident on his face. I can't blame him, but it is kind of hard talking about it. Again.

'We were making out... while my mate Sheila was away with their family.' I finally whisper.

'Wait a second. Hold up. What exactly?' Zach's eyes are wide as saucers, his mouth gaping. I just revealing three things to him in one simple sentence.

'Your mate is a girl?' I nod at that.

'And that Raphael guy is not said girl?' Another nod. I can't even laugh at the stupidity of his question at that point.

'And you cheated on her with him?' I hesitate, but nod anyway.

'And their related?' I give him a vague yes-no answer, because really, that one I'm not too sure how to answer.

He doesn't say anything more, only lets himself drop unto my bed heavily. I hang my head, waiting for his reaction. I've known him for so long, but no matter how well you think you know someone, when it comes down to things like this, you will always feel nervous. In my case, I just mentally prepare myself for his lashing out. I don't want him to, but I know it's the most logical reaction.