Chapter 26

I feel Raph go still immediately and the I instinctively hold my breath, waiting for something to happen. I know that this was a deliberate move from the alpha, wanting to rile Raph up and it makes me want to hurt him. It makes me want to show him how much Raph is hurting already. I wonder whether the alpha doesn't understand that leaving this place, his family, is already close to unbearable for him. I wonder whether I'm the only one that has ever really and honestly tried to understand him.

I'm suddenly glad that I will be taking him away from this place, where he isn't even listened to, but then I remember that the alpha won't let Sam go. This alone makes me doubt, once again, whether Raph will come with me. I can't even blame him if he doesn't. Sam needs him and vice versa, I was the one that stepped into that bond in the first place. Without me, they would be okay now.

'Sam comes with me.' Raph says strongly.

When I look over, he stands before me and Sam, his back straight, shoulders wide and every single muscle in his body taught. He looks ready to fight, even though we all know that he won't stand a chance against all of them.

'He will stay. You will leave. That's what is going to happen and it would be in your interest to act accordingly.' is the alpha's only answer. His voice is strong, cold and doesn't leave any room for argument. When Raph doesn't move, the pack starts snarling once again. They are slowly closing in on us, even though they barely move and I recognise the threat. They won't let Raph have time to argue or even beg. They consider the discussion over because their alpha does too.

I want to tell Raph to make a decision now, but even I recognise that there is no decision anymore. The alpha has decided that Sam is to stay and we are to leave.

I move to touch Raph when I realise how close he is to talking again or, even worse, attacking, but I am too slow. Mum gets to him first and hugs him to her, like she used to with me when I couldn't cope with anything. The air seems to just still while Raph is in her arms and I feel my heart squeeze when his hands grip unto her jumper in desperation. I can see her whispering something in his ear before she lets go and turns to me.

She doesn't say anything to me, but she doesn't need to either. Her hands clasp my face and she just stares at me for a second, then she engulfs me in a big hug, kisses my cheek and she's gone.

It feels like a final goodbye and force myself to not think of it that way, at least not now. I can't break down now, not when we're this pressed for time.

The alpha and especially the pack are losing their patience, and quickly.

Mum kneels down in front of Sam, smiles at him, whispers with him for a second, even manages to laugh and get him to laugh a little, then lifts him up to rest on her hips and simply walks away towards the alpha.

The pack immediately move in the way, ready to forcefully stop her if needed, but the alpha makes them clear and lets her walk past. She doesn't even stop though. She simply walks past everyone, not caring if they hurt her while walking past. She is protecting Sam as best as she can as she makes her way into the pack house. Sam is unexpectedly quiet and I find my gaze locked on him as he simply stares to the floor. When the door close, I still don't move. I don't quite comprehend what is happening anymore and just keep staring at the door.

A gentle touch at my wrist is what makes me look over. Raph is there, a smile on his face, even if it's a completely fake on, and he grabs my hand and pulls me away. We walk away without anyone or anything following us except the packs snarls and malicious growls.

It's a funny feeling, wrong feeling to be walking away like this. There weren't any proper goodbyes, any sorted out feelings and like this every step feels like it's taken with too much weight on my shoulders.