Cook, Mr Grant

Jake's P.o.v

"You're kidding right?" Diana asked crossing my arms at me. I adjusted my tie, shoved my keys in my pockets, then I pulled her in for a kiss.

"You're going to do great pumpkin"

"Jake kids hate me. I'm not good at this. You can't leave me with them. By the way didn't your friend ask you to watch them for him. He didn't ask me" I said crossing my arms. A small smile spread across his face.

"I love you Diana. I have something important to do with Lyle. Plus tomorrow is my birthday. I'll see you later" I leaned over and hugged the three kids. I'm sure she can handle this.

About an hour later I pulled up at Lyle's house. He was seated under the gazebo drinking vodka. As usual. I walked towards him and took a seat. He leaned forward and placed down his glass.

"So I see Diana agreed to stay with the kids" I nodded and poured out a glass of vodka for myself.

"We need to find whoever is sending these threats to her. Even if it means me going out there myself. I just feel like I would kill anyone that messes with her.

"Your private detectives are foolish. I've hired some men. We'll get information soon"

"I just want her to be safe"

"She will be brother. By the way... some chic came here looking for you. Blue hair... short... kinda hot"

"What? I met her couple days ago"

"Well I guess you have a stalker"

"That's just great! My life is such a mess right now. The only good thing I have other than you guys is Diana. My own mother disowned me. You guys are all the family I have and I don't want to lose any of you"

"Nothing will happen to Diana. I promise you that"

One hour later

Putting on my gloves I opened the door of the abandoned house. I slowly made my way to the table where the other man was seated. Lyle followed me.

"It's been a long time. Couple months. Right?" I took a seat and crossed my arms.

"Thank you for looking out for my girlfriend"

"I was payed to do whatever I do. Friend... I haven't been able to track the messages sent to you or your girl. Everything just leads to a dead end... I'm trying to figure out what this message means though. Dead or alive? It really doesn't make sense"

"I need something by tomorrow the latest. Please"

"Fine..." I got up and walked out. Upon reaching my car we got in and sped off. We traveled in silence until Lyle spoke.

"I just hope everything goes well with this"

"Yeah. Me too... I don't know if I'll be able to live if something happens to her"

"Did you tell her?" He asked. His voice low.

"What are you talking about?"

"Did you tell her about Chris?" I gripped the steering wheel tighter at the mention of his name.

"No" I replied sternly.

"You're joking right?"

"I said I didn't tell her and she doesn't need to know"

"Bro-"

"Shut up Lyle! Mind your own business. I said she doesn't need to know!" I stepped on the gas pedal in anger.